Container and Virtual Network Systems Administrator
Virginia Tech National Security Institute, in conjunction with the Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI), seeks to hire a Systems Administrator with experience working with container-based networks and entirely virtual networks. The ideal candidate will have experience with creating, configuring, and maintaining multiple network designs using both container-based technology and virtual machine technologies. The person selected to fill this position will be responsible for supporting and maintaining CCI's Artificial Intelligence (AI) testbed which is entirely implemented in containers and for creating, maintaining and supporting the forthcoming cyber research range which will be implemented in virtual machines. Support to both the AI testbed and the cyber research range will require reconfiguration of existing assets and implementing new research network requirements. This position will be responsible for working with both CCI and Hume Center personnel. Position is telework eligible for part of the work week, but not fully remote.
- Administer and configure the Kubernetes-based AI testbed in support of current and future AI research across Virginia
- Ensure performance and availability of the AI testbed infrastructure for multiple simultaneous researchers
- Create, administer, and configure the virtualized cyber research range in support of future cyber research and student workforce development activities across Virginia
- Ensure performance and availability of the cyber research range for multiple simultaneous users and uses
- Keep effective communication with team members to ensure user and technical issues are promptly prioritized and resolved
- Monitor resource usage and conduct planning for increased capacity and capability
- Engage broadly with CCI researchers and the Hume Center to identify, prioritize, frame, and structure new AI testbed requirements
- Engage broadly with CCI researchers and the Hume Center to identify, prioritize, frame, and structure new cyber research range requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in related field OR IT certifications in the networking, container, and/or virtual machine areas (such as: Network+, Certified Kubernetes Admin, VMWare Certified Professional, or similar certifications)
- Significant experience managing and administering container-based and/or virtualized networks
- Experience managing development and production environments, including Windows and Linux configuration, patching, and updating
- Experience managing development and production environments in containers, particularly Kubernetes, and virtual machines, including networking and storage
- Experience in deploying, operating, monitoring, optimizing, and troubleshooting containerized and virtual environments
- Experience translating user requirements into production networks
- Demonstrated ability to be a team worker, have an analytical mind, be optimistic, willing to accept challenges and quick response against incidents
Commensurate with experience
February 1, 2022
This position may be located in either Blacksburg, VA or Arlington, VA.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation ofCOVID-19 vaccinationor receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sue Kassat email@example.com regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.