Marketing Director - Alumni Association (Hybrid)
The Alumni Association at West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for a Marketing Director.
About the Opportunity
West Virginia University is looking for an experienced marketer and communicator to help reach our alumni all around the world. This position is critical to the engagement of WVU alumni and the success of the WVU Alumni Association. Candidates should understand and have experience in implementing the latest trends in marketing and communication and be ready to build and execute marketing and communications plans to help grow and strengthen the WVU alumni base and increase engagement. While this person should be willing and able to work on their own, they are not alone. They will work alongside hardworking Alumni Association team members and many talented communicators, creators and marketers within University Relations.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year, and the flexibility to use that time to care for immediate family members
- WVU offers a range ofhealth insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match,eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking formore retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do
- Developand implementan integrated marketing and communications plan consistent with the goals of the WVU Alumni Association and West Virginia University. Works in tandem with the University Relations team to develop the plan and ensures consistency in branding, messaging and marketing.
- Overseethe creation and implementation of targeted communication and projects to reach specific audiences in programming and other outreach including print and electronic communication (web, social media).
- Overseethe public relations/media relations strategies, including policies/procedures, responses and other actions related to this area.
- Developand overseefeature stories, press releases, web communication and social media strategies to distribute alumni stories and news to various outlets.
- Developand executea crisis communications plan for the organization. Providestrategic counsel to leaders, designates spokesperson(s) and, when needed, serves as primary spokesperson and provides media relations oversight. Works alongside University Relations Communications to coordinate materials, as needed.
- Strengthenand overseemajor alumni communications tools including but not limited to the website, WVU Connect platform, monthly electronic news for alumni, social media, membership materials, marketing pieces and other communication initiatives.
- Siton the editorial board of the WVU Magazine.
- Developand implementsocial media strategy for the Alumni Association's social media sites, including LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter as applicable to the audiences.
- Developand updateconsistent, chapter-wide social media policies and best practices to ensure engaging online communities exist across the Association.
- Workwith multimedia specialist to develop and implement creative, strategic communication - print and electronic - to engage alumni and friends of WVU.
- Developand overseecommunications for various chapters and interest groups (e.g. young alumni, black alumni, current students, etc.) through various channels.
- Serveas the primary spokesperson for the Alumni Association for local, state and national/international media. In conjunction with University Relations, selects appropriate representatives to respond to internal/external communications requests. Prepares talking points for leaders as it pertains to Alumni Association news/events.
- Preparespeeches, opinion pieces, blogs and other communication for CEO, members of the Board of Directors and other dignitaries.
- Working in collaboration with University Relations, ensurethat the Alumni Association's marketing and communications plan and products are periodically assessed for effectiveness and are in compliance with branding guidelines and standards.
- Workwith the University's Brand & Trademark Licensing department to ensure official WVU marks and branding are being used appropriately by the Association's various alumni-led chapters and interest groups.
- Stayup-to-date on industry trends and identifies strategic opportunities to utilize marketing and communications trends for the Association.
- Developmonthly and yearly marketing reports to show how tactics are meeting Association and University goals.
- Craftmarketing collateral to promote the Erickson Alumni Association's store.
- Overseeand provideguidance on marketing materials focused around Erickson Alumni Center, including its website, social media and various promotional emails.
- Supervisefull-time staff and student workers, as necessary, to ensure the goals and objectives of the communications plans are met.
- Representthe WVU Alumni Association at events, programs and activities as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree is required in journalism, marketing, public relations, communication, education administration or related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Master's degree is preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a field related to public relations, communications or marketing.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the field of journalism, communications and/or public relations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in writing and communication to a variety of groups/audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to create, compose and edit the content, structure and format of a range of written materials.
- Demonstrated ability to write speeches, prepare informational publications, news releases and other public information tools.
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgement and to gather, manage and impart information to various internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage an organization's social media presence.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate special events.
- Demonstrated ability to speak in public before large audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to gather data, compile and verify information and prepare reports for review.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and carry out assignments without detailed instruction.
- Demonstrated skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgement, tact and diplomacy in interactions with others including issues that may be sensitive in nature.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer including use of word processing, graphic design, desktop publishing, multimedia, social media, database and spreadsheet software applications.
- Knowledge of University communications standards, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of printing processes and requirements.
- Knowledge of context management systems.
- Ability to travel extensively throughout the state and region for extended days, including overnights to attend chapter meetings and Alumni Association events.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as assigned.
- Ability to rapidly learn and apply association, institution, state and federal policies, statutes and regulations that impact the position.
- Ability to recruit, train, motivate, coordinate and direct the work of, and retain volunteers and subordinate staff.
- Knowledge of budget processes and fiscal management.
- A valid driver's license is required for travel to Alumni Association and University events and for regularly scheduled appointments that will occur on the University's campus.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jan 6, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes