Dramatic Advisor, Master of Music & Graduate Diploma (MM/GD) Programs, Vocal Arts
The Juilliard School
New York, New York
The Juilliard School’s Ellen and James S. Marcus Institute for Vocal Arts seeks applicants for Dramatic Advisor, Master of Music & Graduate Diploma (MM/GD) Programs beginning in Fall 2022. The successful candidate will be an exceptional artist-teacher with an extensive background as a stage director with experience providing dramatic training to young singer-actors, preferably in an educational environment or young artist program. The ideal candidate will have experience directing full productions and staged scenes (traditional opera, contemporary opera, etc.) and demonstrate a commitment to exploring and teaching repertoire by underrepresented composers. Candidate will possess a passion for teaching technical skills related to the needs of the 21st-century classical singer.
Working closely with the Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Director for the Master of Music & Graduate Diploma (MM/GD) Programs, this position serves as a member of a team of faculty advisors responsible for tracking the progress of all graduate students to ensure they are receiving an appropriate, well-rounded, individualized, and equitable artistic and educational experience. Candidate will demonstrate a deep commitment to mentoring students in their personal ambitions and professional development. This is a 9-month, full-time position on the Vocal Arts faculty.
Responsibilities (essential functions):
- Lead weekly individual curricular dramatic coachings with the Master of Music and Graduate Diploma (MM/GD) students
- Teach weekly group acting classes for all MM/GD students in the fall and spring semester
- Working closely with the Artistic Director and Associate Artistic Director for the MM/GD Program, track student progress and provide professional advisement (i.e. as member of Student Exchange meetings, regular check-ins with graduate students, etc.)
- Direct MM/GD Showcase opera scenes and aria programs as assigned by the Marcus Institute
- Serve on Vocal Arts Planning committee as graduate student faculty advisor
- Participate in annual Vocal Arts Department Casting Auditions and Opera Casting Meeting in fall semester
- Participate in annual Voice Admissions Entrance Auditions for graduate students in spring semester
- Lead weekly general dramatic coachings with students from all degree programs as requested and possible around MM/GD work
- Artist with significant reputation as a stage director, with a demonstrated track record of teaching young singer-actors. Experience working in an academic environment or with young artists a plus.
- Master’s or equivalent graduate degree in a field related to opera directing or classical music, with significant professional and/or academic opera directing experience.
- Extensive knowledge of vocal repertoire (opera, art song, etc.) from all eras
- Capacity to teach a diverse student body of the highest quality
- Knowledge of the current trends in collegiate voice programs and the profession
- Exceptional judgement, discretion, and integrity when working with students in an educational environment
- Understanding of and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging, and the mission of The Juilliard School
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
Application: Qualified candidates should submit:
- Cover Letter
- Three references (names and contact information)
*This position requires routine in-person work in New York City*