Cyber Analyst - Data Driven WV, John Chambers College of Business and Economics
The department of Data Driven WV within the John Chambers College of Business and Economics is seeking applications for a Data Analyst.
About the Opportunity
The Data Analyst for Data Driven WV (DDWV) will, in coordination with the Director, support cybersecurity and data analysis projects. These projects will include faculty research and sponsored projects as well as student academic and/or experiential projects.
West Virginia University (and The John Chambers College of Business and Economics) is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range ofhealth insurance and other benefits(this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking formore retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Ensure effective and efficient record keeping
- Develop and implement center process improvement plans
- Assist with initiating relationships with prospective center partners in the cybersecurity space.
- Cultivate relationships with existing center partners and sponsors.
Faculty and Sponsored Project Support
- Support grant and subcontractor award opportunities with faculty to serve as cybersecurity specialist and/or data analyst.
- Create custom interactive reports and decision-making tools for College administrators and external constituents.
- For sponsored projects, assist with cybersecurity and associated data analytics research.
- Develop and maintain process documentation for all work associated with sponsored projects.
- Teach or co-teach up to two courses per academic year in support of the Management Information Systems department, specifically the Business Cybersecurity Management (CYBR) academic programs.
- Serve as project manager / student mentor for undergraduate and graduate-level student projects.
- Work to create more team-based for-credit projects for CYBR students.
- Support system configuration and maintenance of cybersecurity lab.
- Assist with development of defensive and offensive (blue team /red team) cybersecurity scenarios for applied student training exercises and workshops.
- Assist with marketing of student participation in DDWV and interview process to build project teams with adequate skillsets needed to meet project objectives.
- Build awareness of DDWV with students through class presentations and guest lectures in pipeline courses.
- Coordinate regular meetings between student teams and client contacts to successfully meet project goals.
- Monitor student team progress and provide subject matter expertise, additional educational content and resources, and access to technology tools to ensure successful project completion and student learning.
- Schedule and coordinate final presentations and deliverables.
- Assist with "TechTalk" seminars and workshops to expose students, faculty, and alumni to industry professionals, academic theories put into practice, and technology tools.
- Master's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience demonstrating hands-on experience securing and defending networks/systems:
- Data collection, analysis, and visualization
- Client communications/presentations
- Coaching/mentorship of students or subordinates
- General understanding of intrusion detection and incident response
- Computer Network Defense experience (Protect, Detect, Respond, and Sustain) within a Computer Incident Response organization.
- Basic network forensic analysis (Wireshark, tcpdump, Snort)
- Demonstrated understanding of the life cycle of network threats, attacks, attack vectors, and methods of exploitation with an understanding of intrusion set Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures.
- Ability to configure Layer 2 network infrastructure, VLAN management (Cisco IOS)
- Windows and Linux system administration (Powershell, Bash), Windows Group Policy, and administrative consoles (SCCM, JAMF)
- Vulnerability Management (preferably Nessus/Tenable and/or Qualys)
- Data Loss Prevention, Event Logging, and Security Information and Event Management
- Ability to configure virtualized systems and networks using Type-1 and Type-2 hypervisors (ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware)
- Hardware and software troubleshooting
- Penetration testing experience preferred, but not required
- Statistical Programming (preferably R and/or Python)
- Data Visualization (R Shiny, Tableau, and/or Power BI) preferred, but not required
- Database management and programming
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision-making skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Certifications such as Security+, CEH, CYSA+, CISSP, or equivalent are preferred, but not required.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jan 19, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes