Office Administrator - Faculty Senate (Hybrid)
The Office of Faculty Senate at West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for an Office Administrator.
About the Opportunity
The purpose of this position is to provide complex independent administrative support to West Virginia University Faculty Senate members and Faculty across campus. The position will manage and contribute in the work-flow and organization of the Senate sub-committees as well as provide workshops and communications to academic offices across the University.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year (or more based on years of service)
- 18 sick days per year, and the flexibility to use that time to care for immediate family members
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do
- Provide administrative assistance to the Faculty Senate and Faculty Senate Executive Committee. Coordinates the work flow and processes of the Faculty Senate office and all senate committee.
- Ensure that the daily operations of Faculty Senate are effective and professional and participates directly in those operations as required.
- Consult with and/or seeks direction from Faculty Secretary on any office or senate issues as needed.
- Provide staff support to senior administrators and Senate Committee Chairs on committee documentation to facilitate the operations of Faculty Senate and relevant subcommittees.
- Organize and prioritizes all documents that are submitted from the colleges across campus for Faculty Senate review. This will include proposals for the Curriculum Committee, Executive Committee, and General Education Committee, and others as needed.
- Assist Senate Committee Chairs with completion of all documents as well as the quality of the documents submitted. In situations where information submitted does not meet the quality requirements of the committee the employee will assist the committee to communicate this information back to the College and /or instructor and provide advice on areas of improvement.
- Prepare committee-ready documentation for each General Education Committee, Teaching and Assessment Committee, and Curriculum Committee meeting, as well as other committees as needed
- Advise instructors on modifications that are needed within required Senate form sections e.g., curriculum based rationale.
- Track the progress and completion of documents through the Senate process. Provide status updates to individuals as requested. This may also include providing reports and statistics. Responsible for informing Senate committee chairs, and Faculty Senate Chair when documents are stalled or slow through the Senate process.
- Create and facilitates workshops or trainings on Senate processes and procedures to a variety of academic audiences across campus as necessary. Communicate changes in processes and procedures relevant to Senate concerns across campus audiences.
- Supervise the Faculty Senate support staff and fill in for staff when they are not available. This includes but is not limited to website updates, communications to committees, and meeting support. Insures that all work and documents are stored on shared drive.
- Ensure that historically relevant Senate documents are archived correctly and accurately, and available to the public, faculty, and Senate for review/use in current Senate activities.
- Manage all Senate (and Senate committee) funding streams, including Senate budget.
- Responsible for keeping track of committee meeting hours, and then reporting back to all faculty and Senators who serve on the Senate and subcommittees the time they have invested in Senate work.
- Obtain a certificate and keep current as a Registered Parliamentarian through the National Association of Parliamentarians.
Pay Grade: 16
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree, master's degree preferred in the area of Education Administration, Education, Communication, Marketing, or in any relevant/related field or an equivalent combination of education & experience.
- One (1) year of related experience.
- Ability to clearly communicate and act in varied, unanticipated and controversial situations, exhibiting poise, discretion, constraint, and impeccable judgment.
- Ability to apply logic and experience to sophisticated problems and challenges.
- Willingness to take a leadership role within the constraints of the position and to be proactive, creative and innovative.
- Ability to work with confidential, sensitive and critical issues in a professional, responsible, discrete, and timely manner.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to carry out assignments without detailed instructions, and to be proactive in raising efficiency and productivity in their completion.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills and use of electronic media, office software packages, and publication tools, with ability and willingness to explore advances in communication or processing technology.
- Ability to analyze documents for content and provide effective feedback.
- Organizational skills and ability to facilitate efficient work flows.
- Knowledge of new technology and paperless product solutions.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Possesses or can obtain the qualifications of a Registered Parliamentarian.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.