Supervisor Storeroom (Part-Time) - University Police department
The University Police Department at West Virginia Universityis seeking applications for a Supervisor Storeroom.This positionis responsible for maintaining security and control of property and evidence that the Police Department acquires through duties and responsibilities. This positionwill be assigned to the Support Services Division. This primary duty of this position is to log, classify, store, despense, destroy, and release property/evidence to its rightful owner for court presentation and/or for destruction or auction.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Maintain evidence, found and stored property in such a manner that the individual items are secure from theft, loss or contamination, and can be located in a timely manner.
- Maintain property reports and other documentation associated with the "chain of custody" for all property.
- Ensure the timely and legally correct notification of owners and release/ disposal of property recovered, found, or seized by the Department.
- Operate computer terminals to access information regarding case dispositions and other related information involving the classification and proper disposition of property/ evidence.
- Coordinate the disposal of unclaimed and/or surplus property and the special disposal of narcotics, weapons, explosives, and hazardous materials pursuant to law.
- Release property for court, to persons legally entitled, for auction and for disposal.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate other Department personnel assigned to the Property Room.
- Provide in-service training to Department personnel regarding the appropriate logging, packaging, documenting and storage of property and evidence.
- Provide effective liaison between the Police Department and local, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Represent the Department while attending state and local associations involved with the management of property and evidence.
- Stay abreast of local, state, and federal law involving property and evidence handling. Recommend and facilitate appropriate changes.
- Maintain a clean and orderly property storage facility.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Work Hours: 20 hours/week
Pay Grade: 11
- High School Diploma or GED
- One (1) year of experience in inventory management and control.
- One (1) year of experience in an office environment as typist, secretary or related.
- Knowledge of record keeping and records management.
- Ability to maintain an effective inventory management and control system.
- Ability to use computers and computer aided technology (software/hardware/peripheral devices).
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing Ability to work independently.
- Ability to attend various training schools and pass/maintain required certifications, as required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of investigations and corresponding evidence.
- Valid driver's license is needed as individual must deliver and retrieve evidence from the crime laboratory when needed. In addition, individual must attend and provide training outside the area and attend meetings.
- Ability to pass in-depth background investigation both initially and periodically, including full financial disclosure and dru screening. No criminal histo be ond minor traffic violation.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jan 5, 2022
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: No