Plant Operations Maintenance Mechanic I
Posting Number: req8293
Department: Facilities Mgmt-Utilities
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Facilities Management is looking for a Plant Operations Maintenance Mechanic I to join our Central Plants team. This position will assist and train with Plant Operators in providing the University with chilled and purified water, steam and electrical generation. In order to deliver quality customer service, the successful candidate will follow department and University policies and procedures in a professional manner. Work schedule may include alternate work weeks and hours. Note: Utilities employees are required to drive University vehicles on a daily basis as one of their primary job functions.
Note: Utilities employees are required to drive University vehicles on a daily basis as one of their primary job functions.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitors various gauges, meters, and pressure and temperature indicators to verify operating conditions of automatically fired boilers, chillers, compressors, motors, turbines and/or related equipment and adjusts controls to specified operating conditions.
- Cleans, lubricates, services and performs maintenance and repair of all central plant equipment such as replacing and/or repacking bearings and valves, repairing lines.
- Services and cleans equipment by applying oil/lubricants, greasing, adding chemicals, testing, and applying cleaning solutions.
- Provide maintenance support and repair work at the central plants as assigned.
- Provide preventative maintenance, diagnose malfunctions, monitor mechanical equipment.
- Maintain records of repairs and equipment.
- Overhauls, disassembles and reassembles pumps such as feed water, transfer, condensate, vacuum and chemical pumps; checks for wear using micrometers and dial indicators.
- Troubleshoots and repairs electric and pneumatic boiler controls.
- Applies safety standards at all times and maintains good housekeeping practices to provide safe working conditions; reports problems affecting plant safety.
- Drives a University vehicle on a daily basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Journeyman level position. Completion of a high school education or an equivalent combination of apprenticeship program, technical training and/or experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Facilities, Grounds and Infrastructure
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $16.70 - $22.58 DOE
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Facil, Grounds, & Infra
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 0
Contact Information for Candidates
Michelle Obregon 520-621-0255 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.