Director of RealmSpark & Investor Engagement
Director of RealmSpark & Investor Engagement
RealmSpark, one of five nonprofit entities that make up ASU Enterprise Partners, is seeking a Director of RealmSpark & Investor Engagement.
The Director of RealmSpark and Investor Engagement is responsible for assisting the Managing Director of RealmSpark with all venture transactions and activities, including managing the InvestU Angel Investor Network.
InvestU supports our entrepreneurial ecosystem by bringing together innovative startups from within the Arizona State University and Thunderbird School of Global Management ecosystem with affiliated investors. By connecting affiliated startup companies with alumni and community network expertise, we hope to foster collaboration and further success of ASU and Arizona's venture ecosystem. RealmSpark is the venture arm that engages in venture investment, largely in EdTech opportunities, in support of the mission of the University.
This position reports to the Managing Director of RealmSpark and must be able to routinely interact with individuals at all levels of ASU Enterprise Partners, the University, and external venture partners.
What you'll do:
- Coordinate with various stakeholders from Enterprise Partners, Thunderbird, ASU, Skysong Innovations, Office of Knowledge Enterprise Development, and the ASU Alumni Association in operating the program
- Grow, engage with and manage a pipeline of ASU-affiliated companies that are looking for early-stage funding
- Work with ASU and Thunderbird faculty and students to execute company diligence and research
- Coordinate quarterly investment meetings and educational sessions for in-person and virtual attendance
- Engage current and potential investors to grow the network's membership
- Communicate program events, success, and needs through newsletters, articles, and social media
- Support overall venture ecosystem within ASU
- Strong collaboration with stakeholders and leaders in Arizona and strategic global venture communities
- Manage governing bodies and advisory boards to ensure a systematic process and robust governance
- Occasional travel to build out spheres of influence in other areas
- Run technology platform to facilitate onboarding of companies and investment by angels
- Support other RealmSpark initiatives including the EdTech Accelerator, Corporate Development, ASU Foundation donor relations, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
What you'll need:
- Knowledge of financial markets, startups, private equity, and venture capital
- Strong ability to research and analyze information; summarize quantitative and qualitative data in reports
- Collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing, and by phone
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and responsibility regarding information related to Enterprise Partners, the University, confidential prospect data, and proprietary venture information
- Attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects with sometimes competing constituencies
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Salesforce and ability to quickly learn new software programs as needed
- Problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible
- Ability to represent the institution well
- An advocate's belief in the vision of ASU as the New American University
- Team-oriented strategist adept at navigating complex environments with evolving priorities
Bachelor's degree in business or related area and 3+ years experience working in startup/VC/PE-related roles. Masters degree preferred.
Clarity of focus while juggling complex projects or deadlines.
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work. Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds. Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts. May be required to perform tasks in the field within and/or across University campuses. Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions. This position may require some early mornings and evenings to accommodate meetings and events. This position currently requires you to work from the office Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays with Monday and Friday optional remote days.
ASUEP follows federal guidance which requires employees of federal contractors to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, except in limited circumstances in which an employee is legally entitled to an accommodation for medical or religious reasons.
This position will require a laptop computer, telephone, mobile communication device ($30 bi-weekly payroll reimbursement), business cards, and corporate credit card.
ASU Enterprise Partners and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer that is firmly committed to promoting justice, equity, diversity and inclusion within our organization and throughout our sphere of influence. Because we embrace a spirit of innovation and achievement, we will endeavor to maximize the talent and potential of all employees, directors, and volunteers through bold and strategic action aimed at building success and a sense of belonging. All employees are expected to act in good faith to support these actions and to not impede the efforts of others to build a just, equitable, diverse and inclusive organization.