Security Center Representative
The Security Center Representative provides security, safety and community services to University employees, students, and visitors. This position is responsible for monitoring and utilizing the campus video surveillance system for the purposes of deterring and providing information regarding criminal and safety incidents, activating the University's emergency notification system, answers calls on the department's main line and provides assistance or forwards to the Regional 911 Center as needed, monitors direct and silent emergency alarms notifying responsible parties, and answers non-emergency calls for assistance. The security center representative also enters, updates and retrieves information from a variety of computer systems, receives requests for information regarding vehicle registration, driving records and warrants, student information, and parking information, and provides pertinent data. Monitors several complex public safety radio frequencies, operates a variety of communications equipment, including radio consoles, telephones, and computer systems. This position may assist in providing on-the-job training for Security Center Representative and submit progress reports and evaluations on trainees. This position is considered essential personnel, which requires reporting to work during adverse weather conditions.
The successful candidate will have:
- Demonstrated customer service experience.
- Significant experience using computers.
- Must have the ability to effectively organize, prioritize, and handle several work tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills in person and on the telephone with the ability to speak clearly and concisely.
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse clientele.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and follow policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work independently or with others in an isolated environment for long periods of time.
See other for additional employment requirements and conditions.
- Willingness and/or ability to work rotating shifts, including nights, holidays and weekends; work on an on-call basis; work irregular duty assignments; and wear a uniform.
- Must successfully pass a criminal history/background check and a psychological assessment.
- State law requires successful candidate to be a U.S. citizen or have been a lawful resident of the U.S. for the past 10 consecutive years and employed by a criminal justice agency.
- Must be able to give credible testimony in court.
- Associate's Degree and/or equivalent training/experience with law enforcement, security, communications or corrections
- Experience operating a variety of communication hardware such as phone, two-way radio, or paging systems in a high volume environment
- Experience using Microsoft Office software
- Experience dispatching law enforcement, fire and/or emergency medical services
- Experience answering complaints and providing information in a public contact environment.
December 13, 2021
Alternate work schedule-Rotating Shifts, primarily evenings, nights, and weekends. Must have a criminal background check. Must have a driver's license check, Emergency Personnel-weather related, Emergency Personnel-facilities related, Emergency Personnel health &; safety related, Candidates for employment are required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug screening. Incumbents are subject to random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident drug and alcohol screening, Subject to random drug screening and in accordance with department policy. Successful completion of a psychological assessment is required.
Security Guard position requires a considerable amount of walking, climbing, carrying and lifting and reporting for work in adverse weather conditions.
This position is designated safety sensitive. Candidates for employment are required to have a criminal history check, including fingerprinting and a pre-employment drug screen. Incumbents are subject to random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident drug and alcohol screening.
Must be a U.S. citizen or a lawful resident of the U.S. for the past 10 consecutive years and employed by a criminal justice agency.
Must undergo an extensive background check and credit history check, with satisfactory results.
Successful completion of a psychological assessment is required.
Visitpolice.vt.edufor details on above employment conditions.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation ofCOVID-19 vaccinationor receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.