Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Frostburg State University’s Financial Aid Office seeks applications for an exempt, full-time Assistant Director of Financial Aid. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience; University System of Maryland benefits package includes annual leave, holidays, personal, and sick leave; tuition remission; health and life insurance, and retirement plans. FSU is proud to be a diverse and inclusive multicultural university.
Responsibilities: The Assistant Director of Financial Aid is responsible for assisting the Director of Financial Aid in support of daily operations of the department/division in alignment with the business and strategic objectives of the University.
The Assistant Director operates from a data-informed and equity-focused approach to enhance student access and enrollment in collaboration with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Managing personnel as assigned, including but not limited to, planning, coordinating, and implementing staff work assignments and work schedules to ensure that work is completed timely, and students are properly served.
- Providing general oversight to ensure proper distribution of Federal, State, and Local funding to a diverse community of students.
- Assisting in coordination of strategic planning, business planning, and other initiatives related to the operations. Collaborate with the Director of Financial Aid to develop, implement, and maintain internal controls and procedures.
- Assists in the development of presentations related to financial aid information, maintenance of operational policies, procedures, staff development, budgetary needs for short-term and long-term University initiatives.
- Remaining current with the pertinent legislation and regulations concerning Financial Aid.
- Assisting in acting as a resource for clarification and information.
- Working collaboratively within a diverse college community.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- May be asked to work evenings and weekends.
- Update all publications and updates sent to students regarding financial aid.
- Interpret and implement new federal regulations.
- Complete all required reports submitted to federal and state agencies.
- Hire, train, mentor, and supervise staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills:
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Excellent leadership, managerial and collaboration skills.
- Knowledge of current practices relative to Student Financial Aid.
- Knowledge of current technology (hardware, software, and/or web applications) relative to Student Financial Aid.
- Must be adept at working with diverse populations and be able to communicate effectively.
- Must possess the capability to work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines while delivering a quality product.
- Ability to handle a diverse set of responsibilities.
- Must have strong problem-solving skills, be well organized and an advocate of providing outstanding customer service to the institution user community.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Ability to create oral and written reports and presentations in a concise and effective manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3 years of experience in a college or university financial aid services setting.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in Student Financial Aid.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Experience with current higher education LMS/Financial Aid Software, including but not limited to, PeopleSoft, MS Office, COD, and NSDLS.
- Experience implementing Federal and State regulations pertaining to Student Financial and/or Student Employment.
- Experience managing and supervising personnel.
About the University: A member institution of the University System of Maryland, with one of the most diverse student populations, Frostburg State University is a public, comprehensive, largely residential regional university offering programs in the sciences, education, business, the arts and humanities at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. FSU prides itself on being a culturally inclusive, dynamic, learning-centered institution that emphasizes teaching with equitable opportunities for professional development and research. More than 5,000 students enroll yearly.
About the Area: FSU is located on a scenic 260-acre campus in the mountains of Western Maryland, a region rich in history, quaint shopping areas and eclectic cafes and food choices. The Western Maryland region is considered a four-season outdoor mecca of recreational experiences offering activities such as; hiking, mountain biking, water sports, snow skiing/boarding, golfing, climbing, etc. Frostburg offers a family-friendly college town feel, accessible to major cities like Pittsburgh, Washington, DC, and Baltimore within a 2-hour drive. If you are looking for insightful colleagues, a diverse and energetic student body, and a great environment to work and call home, FSU is for you!
To Apply, please visit: http://frostburg.peopleadmin.com/postings/1884 .
For assurance of full consideration, please submit materials by December 28, 2021
Along with your application, please provide the following: 1) a resume; 2) cover letter specifically addressing the requirements in this advertisement; and 3) names and contact information for three professional references.
Frostburg State University (FSU) has made the safety of our students, faculty, staff, and our surrounding community a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that student, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or new employee at FSU, you will be required to comply with FSU’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required at the time of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement. Employees in the collective bargaining unit are required to follow the agreed upon protocol .
Frostburg State University welcomes and encourages women, veterans, minorities, and individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures to apply, seeking to recruit and retain a diverse workforce. FSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Appropriate auxiliary aids and services for qualified individuals with a disability will be provided upon request. Please notify us in advance.