Graduate Student Services Advisor (Academic Advisor II)
Posting Number: req7239
Department: Nutritional Sci Wellness - INS
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The School of Nutritional Sciences and Wellness seeks a qualified candidate to join the Professional Programs team. This position works closely with online graduate & certificate students in The School of Nutritional Sciences and Wellness, and supports all other initiatives related to graduate student support services.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocation services, please click here.
Employee COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
All University employees, including student workers and graduate assistants/associates, must verify that they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless they have been granted a religious or disability/medical accommodation.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Reports to and assists the Director of Professional Programs with the day-to-day Graduate Student Support Services (includes Graduate and Post-Bacc Certificate students)
- Serve as an academic advisor to approximately 300+ prospective graduate students in The Professional Science Master's (PSM) in Applied Nutrition programs (Dietetics & Nutrition and Wellness Emphases) and Post-Bacc DPD certificate students
- Works extensively with online student populations, ability to communicate virtually via Zoom and write clear emails is required
- Serve as the students' primary advisor throughout the transfer/program evaluation, course selection, and registration process
- Maintains unit documentation such as student files, personnel records, and recruitment data in digital formats
- Develops and facilitates presentations using various multimedia, coordinating large and small informational sessions, and updates program resources such as program guides, checklists, and other forms relevant to student progression
- Applies functional knowledge of policies and procedures; authorizes exceptions to policy within defined limits; ensures adherence to policy and procedure and monitors/checks for accuracy
- Serves as the primary recruiter for Professional Programs graduate students and Post-Bacc/DPD verification statement certificate students. Represents the School at recruitment events, including national/regional conferences
- Communicates with and tracks interest of prospective students via phone, email, video chat, and web-based conferencing
- Discusses degree and admissions requirements and assists students with the application process
- Assists the Enrollment Counselor with processing admissions documents (transcripts, acceptance forms) and onboarding new students in collaboration with program coordinators
- Coordinates or performs data collection, analysis, reporting, documentation, and other duties to ensure accurate and timely processing or development of required reports
- Represents the Professional Programs team at faculty committee meetings and provides faculty support with the necessary follow-up to action items
- Provides support to faculty as needed; respond to faculty inquiries or concerns in a timely manner in-person and via email or phone.
- Supports the scheduling and implementation of program onboarding and orientation
- Generates ideas related to systems/process improvement to both staff & faculty as appropriate
- Participates in special projects with the Student Nutrition Advising Center, Career and Academic Services (CALS), AgVisors, and other members of the AZOnline advising community
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Skill with computer & data collection systems such as student information systems (Peoplesoft), Microsoft Office Suite, etc.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, and highly organized
- Ability to track paperwork and follow-up on procedures
- Efficient at priority setting and time management
- Ability to multi-task and function in a dynamic environment
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with faculty
- Ability to work with graduate and/or online students
- Skill in developing tutorials, videos, and other resources to support online student populations
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience required
- Degree or work experience in student affairs or another relevant area
- Degree in nutritional sciences/dietetics area and/or DTR or RDN credential
- Master's degree + 1 year experience
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Student Services
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.