Research Specialist - Office of Health Affairs
The Office of Health Affairs at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Research Specialist located in Charleston, WV. This position provides organizational leadership for collaborative activities involving the Health Sciences Center, the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources (WVDHHR) and other partners. These include, among others, providing data analytic support, program evaluation expertise, technical assistance and project management support for the WVDHHR and other partners With office locations in both Morgantown and Charleston, the Office of Health Affairs (OHA) employs over 50 full-time staff and engages numerous faculty and staff from other units of the University to fulfill its service mission to the state.
The Research Specialist is a key participant in Office of Health Affairs and its collaborative research and evaluation work with external partners. The general responsibilities include supporting research and evaluation activities through participation on interdisciplinary research and evaluation teams. The position works under general supervision of the project leader(s) and performs a wide range of highly technical and complex research/evaluation activities. Under general supervision of the project leader(s) (principal investigator, research associate, and/or project director), the Research Specialist supports research and evaluation teams and contributes to the planning and performance of projects, programs, and activities
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Completes research and evaluation activities according to prescribed project workplans
- Designs, implements, and maintains data collection tools and summarizes data collection processes, procedures, and activities.
- Reviews literature for related research developments and techniques and compiles findings
- Helps prepare IRB applications and materials
- Compiles, collects, and assists with interpretation of data. May perform analyses of secondary and/or primary data depending on the needs of the project.
- Prepares written materials, charts, graphs, reports, and presentations on research results, methods, and findings.
- Communicates results of analytic projects and program evaluations with external partners and stakeholders.
- Ensures research and evaluation activities are compliant with WVU, federal, and state policies and procedures for the responsible conduct of research, as well as, activities adhere to established OHA PDMO policies and procedures.
- May help develop peer-reviewed manuscripts, abstracts, conference presentation materials.
- May present findings at local, state, or national conferences and/or meetings in collaboration with project team
- Conducts and/or assists with special projects or other duties as assigned
- May provide program management support, in accordance with OHA PDMO policies and procedures, to smaller OHA research/evaluation projects and/or programs under the general supervision of project leaders and/or a Senior Research Specialist by:
- Managing, coordinating, and monitoring the day to day productivity and task management
- Partnering with project leaders to define project approach and ensure overall project plans
- Supporting, organizing, and coordinating various initiatives and activities across internal departments and with external partners
- Monitoring internal and external drivers that influence project operation, management, and execution, including budget processes
- Tracking and reporting project milestones in the selected format at the assigned intervals
- Developing stakeholder presentations regarding strategic initiatives progress, risks and budget results, and project operational reports
- Master's degree in health science-related field; or equivalent amount of combined education and work experience.
- Two (2) years of experience:
- Demonstrated experience in health related research or evaluation
- Experience with statistical and qualitative analysis activities and software such as SPSS, SAS, Atlas Ti, and NVivo desired
- Experience in quantitative and/or qualitative research design and methods preferred
- Experience working collaboratively with state-level policy stakeholders is preferred
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Read and interpret verbal and written directions.
- Organize and prioritize work and follow through on assignments.
- Requires precision and attention to detail.
- Must have strong decision-making skills and be able to exercise good judgment.
- Ability to prepare and present findings that are clear and understandable to diverse stakeholders.
- Strong ability to present information and respond to questions from groups or individuals.
- Knowledge and experience using and identifying health data and literature
- Ability to project and maintain a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Strong written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability in health-related research and/or evaluation techniques
- Ability to develop action plans and systems to facilitate and track implementation of activities
- Valid driver's license and ability to travel on an intermittent basis if/when required.
About WVUAt West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Nov 23, 2021
Posting Classification: FE/AP
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes