Professional Counselor/Prevention Specialist
Seton Hill University is seeking a Pennsylvania Licensed eligible Professional Counselor who has knowledge and experience in providing appropriate clinical services to a college-aged population. The Counselor will provide those services at the Seton Hill University Counseling Center in addition to conducting the ATOD prevention and intervention services. The Professional Counselor/Prevention Specialist position is a full-time 11-month position.
- Provide individual and group counseling using brief therapy models, assessment, crisis intervention, and on-call services to a diverse population of Seton Hill students and refer as appropriate to community based providers.
- Coordinate the ATOD program including
- Facilitation of the Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students (BASICS) program
- Assure for University compliance with the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act (DFSCA)
The successful candidate must:
- Have at the minimum a master’s degree in counseling or a closely related discipline.
- Be licensed, or license eligible, to practice independently (LPC, LMFT, LCSW) according to the regulations of the State of Pennsylvania; must be able to provide documentation of licensure.
- Have experience working with diverse populations and recognize the importance of inclusive excellence.
- Have had appropriate course work at the graduate level, through an accredited program in their discipline, and demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities in psychological assessment, theories of personality, abnormal psychology or psychopathology, human development, learning theory, counseling theory, and/or other appropriate subjects.
- Demonstrate knowledge of principles of program development, consultation, outreach, developmental theories of the adolescent and adult, and be able to understand the person in the context of a diverse social and cultural milieu.
- Be willing to serve on call 24/7 rotationally.
- Acknowledge that while most of this positions time is in office during regular weekdays, that some evenings and weekend workshops and outreach will be necessary.
- Have personal attributes that enable the Counselor to facilitate effective interpersonal relationships and to communicate with a wide range of students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
The successful candidate should possess a deep commitment to assist college students in their transition to adulthood and to work cooperatively with the various departments. We seek a colleague with a strong desire to work at a small, private, Catholic institution committed to a liberal learning environment. A commitment and an ability to engage students in the learning process through programs and personal contact is a must.
YOUR TEAM: Counseling Services, housed within the Student Affairs division is a dynamic, evolving division driven by transformational leadership and continuous improvement. We are committed to being a community of inclusive excellence as we live out Seton Hill University’s mission. We seek team members who are highly motivated, strategic thinkers and relationship builders who thrive on shared governance. We are committed to facilitating student discovery and exploration consistent with the aims of a broad Catholic liberal arts education; offering impactful learning opportunities based on current research and empirical data; cultivating the unique strengths and perspectives of individual students; fostering global awareness, social justice values, and civic engagement; and providing a healthy and vibrant educational environment conducive to holistic well-being.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Requires some physical effort, i.e. some standing and walking and manual dexterity in the operation of office equipment; extended periods of time at a keyboard; extended periods of time sitting for counseling sessions with students; occasional hours outside the normal University schedule; serving in the on-call rotation.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Please submit a cover letter and resume, with names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled.