Vice President for Institutional Advancement
McKendree University welcomes applications for the position of Vice President for Institutional Advancement located at its Lebanon, IL campus. This is a full-time, benefits eligible position.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President for Institutional Advancement serves as a member of the university’s senior leadership team and leads the Development Department and its efforts, events, and activities to establish and nurture effective relationships with donors, alumni, board members, business and community leaders, and the campus community. Through a combination of philanthropy expertise and strong interpersonal communication skills, this individual will lead the University’s efforts to identify, cultivate, solicit, and secure gifts that support the mission of the University and enable the realization of our strategic plan.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create, execute, and evaluate fundraising and development plans that reflect and enable the University’s mission and strategic priorities.
- Provide effective leadership and executive oversight of university development programs working collaboratively with Trustees, administration, faculty, athletics staff and coaches, and campus departments.
- Provide executive-level strategic leadership and management over all aspects of the Development Office including the various fundraising events sponsored by the University.
- Make donor calls, secure philanthropic commitments, and ensure mechanisms are in place for donors to receive appropriate recognition for, and understanding of the impact of, their gifts.
- Serve as a member of the President's Cabinet providing overall leadership to the University.
- Serve as the primary expert on all matters regarding the laws and regulations pertaining to fundraising while modeling high levels of ethics and integrity to all university stakeholders.
- Serve as Resource Person of the Resource Development Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Develop communications and fundraising materials for the department in collaboration with Marketing & Communications.
- Hire, supervise, develop, and lead all Development Office staff.
- Review and supervise financial oversight of office and received donations, in conjunction with Administration & Finance.
- Participate in the life of the University by regularly attending University functions and activities.
- Provide support for other projects and duties as assigned by the President.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five or more years of successful senior development experience managing a fundraising or development program, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated success in annual giving and alumni relations as well as securing major gifts from individuals, companies, and foundations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellence in communications, interpersonal relationship-building, integrity, and ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies.
- Self- starter, who enjoys building new and existing external relationships and is goals driven, entrepreneurial, creative, and comfortable reaching out to alumni, donors, and prospects.
- Demonstrated managerial experience with direct reports.
- Demonstrated proficiency with virtual and social media tools to fundraise and increase the digital footprint of an organization's brand; including but not limited to, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Senior leadership experience at Chief Development Officer level or equivalent.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals, CFRE or CASE membership desirable.
Office environment; 40 hours per week; normally 8:00am-5:00pm; some evening and weekend work required.
McKendree University, Illinois’ first and finest, is a private university in Lebanon, IL, just 25 minutes from downtown St. Louis, home of the 11-time World Series champs (St. Louis Cardinals) and the 2019 Stanley Cup winner (St. Louis Blues). St. Louis also boasts a wonderful zoo, a first-rate botanical garden, a vibrant art scene (both performing and visual), and a plethora of top-notch restaurants.
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest referencing job #VPIA00 with a resume/CV and contact information for three professional references to the Director of Human Resources at email@example.com.