Pipe Fitter Trades Specialist I - Facilities & Services
The Facilities Management unit of the Division of Facilities & Services is seeking applications for a Plumbing Trades Specialist I position. Under the supervision of the Supervisor/Building Trades and Lead performers campus wide plumbing, maintenance, installation, and repair work as outlined by University guidelines. Shall provide guidance to staff as assigned.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Develops requisitions for parts, supplies, etc. from Warehouse and vendors, ensuring timely delivery and sequencing. Performs maintenance duties as assigned.
- Maintains and utilizes personal protective equipment when performing work or entering hazardous areas.
- Shall interpret blueprints and specifications; shall requisition parts, materials, and supplies from Warehouse for jobs as assigned; shall draw line drawings as required. Will also be responsible for tools and equipment used in the performance of duties. Shall leave work areas in a neat and orderly manner. Job duties are not to be considered so specific as to exclude any work which may cross tasks or other assigned duties.
- Installs, maintains, repairs, and overhauls steam distribution systems up to 250 PSI consisting of steam traps, pressure relief valves, condensate returns, expansion joints, steam rated valves, and pressure regulating valves. Also maintains and repairs coils and heat exchangers associated with the steam system.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs lavatory sinks, water closets, fire hydrants, sprinkler systems, domestic water, distilled water systems, sewage systems, and deionized water systems. This will include such fixtures as hot water tanks, water coolers, water filters, ice machines, dish machines, water treatment systems for cooling and heating water, training room equipment.
- Repairs, maintains, and installs high and low pressure gas systems such as compressed air, natural gas, nitrogen, oxygen, and gas fire extinguishing systems. Repairs, maintains, and installs vacuum systems for mechanical and laboratory use.
- Operates test equipment to inspect and diagnose piping systems, steam traps, heat exchangers, and valves. Operates hand tools and power equipment such as drain snake, grinder, drill press, pipe-threading machine, pipe cutters, power saw, brazing equipment, air compressor, and various other tools as needed.
- Must maintain safe working conditions in steam tunnels, trenches, manholes, ceiling space, crawl space, and other working areas utilizing safety devices such as harness, shoring for trench work, ventilation fans for pit and tunnel work, ground fault, and protective clothing when needed.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs chilled water and heating water distribution systems along with all associated valves, tanks, air bleeders, and coils.
- Shall operate equipment such as hole saws, reciprocating saws, concrete saws, and hammer drills to penetrate walls, beams, floors, and other barriers for the purpose of installing piping systems. Shall install proper supports and hangers for piping and fixtures to ensure safety.
- Shall remove non-asbestos insulation and lagging material from piping systems to ensure that proper diagnosis and repairs can be made. Shall also remove material in a manner that it may be reused is possible.
- May be required to move, load, and carry all materials and equipment necessary to complete all phases of assigned maintenance and construction projects. May be required to assist in the effort of moving any existing conditions which interfere with the flow of the project. When project is completed, work site must be left in a clean and orderly fashion. Must be able to respond during off hours to cover emergency situations.
- May be required to perform general maintenance duties in assisting other trades and operations. Performs other duties as assigned.
The Division of Facilities and Services encompasses two units that are integral to the University's success. Our units employ talented and skilled workers whose jobs range from maintaining, protecting and improving the University's buildings and grounds. Facilities and Services takes care of every aspect of WVU so that its employees, students and guests are safe and satisfied on campus.
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Pay Grade: 13
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year (for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
- Broad trade knowledge or specific technical education received from a formal apprentice or vocational training program of up to 18 months beyond high school in the piping or steam-fitting field.
- At least two (2) years of experience in the maintenance and repair of piping
- Valid driver's license required for driving state vehicles around campus
- Journeyman pipefitter or steamfitter certification preferred
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.