IT Business Analyst III (Extended Temporary)
Posting Number: req7793
Department: Infra & Foundational Tech
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Get to know us:
University Information Technology Services (UITS) has over 300
employees and an annual operating budget of approximately $77.6 million. It is
the University's central IT unit and provides enterprise-level technologies and
services that are broadly consumed, core to central administrative business
operations, and tend to offer substantial economies of scale. Technology at the
University of Arizona is essential to the mission of research, teaching, and
learning and is the foundation to the academic and administrative operations of
the campus. With a new future on the horizon, UITS has taken this unique moment
to emerge with even more robust service capabilities than we offered before the
pandemic. UITS works in collaboration with department and college IT units to
enhance student experiences to connect, discover, and engage with the
University, curricula, and beyond. UITS supports research for innovative
solutions for global challenges and embraces the spirit of entrepreneurship and
the values of diversity and inclusion.
The ServiceNow ITSM (IT Service Management) Business Analyst leads, delivers, and maintains technology solutions that enhance research, learning, and operations. Provides expertise in technology strategy, policies, plans, architecture, deployment, and maintenance of the University's applications, systems, and hardware infrastructure for security and ongoing end user services.
Plans and designs ITSM service management solutions, trains on ITSM usage and best practices, and services as a liaison between business units and ITSM developers to enhance ITSM platform, ServiceNow. Works with colleges, divisions, and departments to understand and define IT system needs. Develops, recommends, supports and maintains solutions. Plans for implementation, integration and maintenance of solutions into business process or system design.
The candidate will be responsible for gathering data and performing analysis of IT inventories in support of the CMDB (Configuration Management Database), discovery, metrics and service delivery methods and required technologies. The BA will also advises and supports service managers during planning, directing, and coordinating of operational or procedural matters to meet project goals and objectives.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the
This position is extended temporary up to 12-24 months with a
potential for continuation based on funding.
We care about our people - Benefits, perks and
- Health, vision, dental Insurance plans, domestic partner
health plans, life insurance and disability coverage, flexible spending
accounts, retirement plans.
- 22 paid vacation days per year, 12 paid sick days per year,
10 holidays, University winter closure leaves between Christmas Eve and New
Year's Day, 6 weeks paid parental leave.
- Qualified Tuition Reduction for employees and qualified
- Health and wellness services.
- Employee discounts.
- Continuous learning environment and professional development
opportunities. Access to 17,000 LinkedIn Learning courses library.
- And many more!!! Please visit talent.arizona.edu for more
Employee COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
All University employees, including student workers and
graduate assistants/associates, must verify that they are fully vaccinated for
COVID-19, unless they have been granted a religious or disability/medical
Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in strategic analysis and data gathering from internal and external clients and other sources.
- Provides expert level consulting, coordination and facilitation of ITSM for large scale and complex deployments.
- Analyzes the adequacy and effectiveness of practices and policies; develops new procedures and policies including user documents and forms.
- Prepares reports, explaining and recommending alternative solutions to business problems.
- Coordinates extensive studies to evaluate the potential for automating existing or proposed work functions or processes and assesses the feasibility of creating or modifying computer programs for systems to meet user requirements.
- Determines if current policies, practices and internal controls are adequate to meet management objectives and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Reviews, researches and evaluates computer hardware and software to determine its usefulness and appropriateness as related to existing or proposed administrative systems and develops preliminary and detailed system design documents for in-house and vendor computer systems. Confers with vendors to resolve technical questions and problems and consults with and advises users in the selection and use of computing options.
- Creates service and technical documentation as needed in support these duties.
- Develops materials including, but not limited to: presentations, training manuals, talking points, graphics, reports, and other materials to support user engagement.
- Reviews, evaluates and documents existing programs and systems to identify and recommend the means of integrating systems extending across organizational or functional lines.
- Assists team in reviewing, researching, and evaluating software to determine its usefulness and appropriateness as related to existing or proposed systems.
- May work with vendors to resolve technical questions and problems and consults with and advises users in the selection and use of computing options.
- Advises department staff requiring assistance in solving complex problems or issues regarding management and systems.
- Interviews employees at all levels to analyze processes and requirements. May design and develop surveys as needed.
- May act as project lead on small to medium-sized projects or on a portion of a larger project. May coordinate activities.
- Participates with management in planning, directing and coordinating operational or procedural matters to meet project goals and objectives.
- Investigates, coordinates all information and metric development in support of the creation and promotion of Service
- Delivery models for UITS.
- Organizes and manages project phases to ensure satisfactory and timely completion of deliverables.
- Partners with business analysts, systems analysts and engineers in requirements gathering and reviews.
- Collaborates with other teams to develop detailed work plans, schedules, estimates and status reports.
- Articulates, develops and models the end user experience, including the visual design of the application, to make user interaction simple, efficient, and consistent.
- Submits work orders to appropriate work group, service vendor, or agency.
- Develop improvements in policies, procedures, and workflow.
- Mentors and trains junior level employees to include student workers.
- Serves as escalation point of contact for customer conflicts or workflow resolutions.
- Works collaboratively with project managers and business analysts to deliver ITSM to campus.
- Supports team systems, tools, websites, and does back-office maintenance.
- Performs statistical analysis reporting as needed, to report to project managers, business analysts, and UITS leadership.
- Leads analysts for ServiceNow and other IT
Service Management platforms as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems or related field and five or more years of significant and relevant professional experience and possesses all required knowledge and skills to include experience in procedural management or business analysis work.
- Applicants have 2 or more years IT project management/coordination work experience.
- Highly-proficient with Office and other applications and collaboration tools (E.g.: MS Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, Google Suite, MS Visio, Slack, etc.).
- Or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of higher education administrative systems and related business principles.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques used in conducting management studies and in systems analysis.
- Knowledge of information systems design including computer applications.
- Skill in analyzing and developing effective solutions for organizational problems.
- Skill in planning, organizing and directing project team members to meet goals and objectives.
- Skill in facilitating group and managerial meetings.
- Skill in coordinating the development and presentation of user oriented training programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Skill in developing and conducting training programs.
- Skill in conducting group and 1-on-1 interviews.
- Skill in writing technical and non-technical materials including plans, vendor agreements, processes + procedures, database analysis, and project reports.
- Ability to translate technical and data driven topics into content that can be understood by a general audience.
- Ability to work on challenges and opportunities that are strategic in nature, are varied, and involve evaluation and interpretation. Problems may require the development of new approaches, methods or techniques, requiring significant innovation and creativity.
- Ability to communicate with management and leadership. This position works to influence within and outside of job function regarding policies, standards and processes. To perform role, communication occurs within the division and department, and externally as well.
- General knowledge of ITSM or ITIL principles, theories, and concepts. Is competent in all job functions and has general understanding of the industry practices, techniques, and standards.
- Ability to work individually and part of a team.
- Ability to work remotely as well as being able to occasionally do work outside normal business hours for system upgrades, new releases, and custom configurations.
- Ability to work and communicate with users and managers at all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of services and products of a Higher Education IT Department.
* Experience with ServiceNow (ITSM & ITOM).
* Applicants be proficient with one or more enterprise IT ticketing platform such as Cherwell, ServiceNow, Salesforce, Remedy, etc..
* Be able to work and productive working remotely, within Arizona, to include being proficient with collaboration tools (Slack, Teams, Zoom) and be available for web/video meetings (planned and ad hoc).
* Experience with collaborative tools such as Jira, Slack, Git, Confluence, and Zoom.
* Applicants ServiceNow certifications are highly-preferred.
* Applicants have experience with ITSM, CMDB, and/or CSDM.
* Applicants have scripting/coding experience (namely Java Script).
* Database Analyst experience preferred including proficiency in one or more of the following database systems: Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server, Splunk, and/or AWS DynamoDB.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Information Technology
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $62,038-$87,281
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
IT Business Analysis
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume, Cover Letter, and One Additional Document
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please upload an additional document with a list of at least three professional references (one should be at least prior supervisor).
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.