Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Adams State University
Administrative Vice Presidents
Position Summary: The Vice President for Institutional Advancement at Adams State University is responsible for strengthening relationships with external and internal constituents through stewardship, communications, media relations, social media, marketing, alumni relations, special events, fund raising, and other activities. As a Hispanic Serving Institution located in Alamosa, Colorado in the bucolic rural, agriculture rich San Luis Valley, the primary purpose of this key leadership position is about moving Adams State forward in a strategic and collaborative manner. This is an exceptional opportunity to join a vibrant leadership team and play a central role in enhancing the visibility and fundraising capabilities of an amazing institution. The Vice President of Institutional Advancement provides strategic and operational oversight to the following departments: Alumni Relations and Engagement, Events Management, Foundation, and Public Relations (to include all forms of internal and external communication, branding, and messaging of Adams State University). Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President of Institutional Advancement is expected to use extraordinary judgement and reflect the highest degree of personal and professional integrity. The Vice President of Institutional Advancement is a member of the President’s Executive Council.
Leadership and Management
Leadership and Management
- Promote a broad understanding and awareness of the University’s mission and programs.
- Work closely with the President to advance the institution’s image through engagement with all constituencies to include at a minimum: students, employees, alumni, donors, community members, legislative/elected officials, and all stakeholders related to Adams State University.
- Serve as a member of the President’s Executive Council, representing the division in the development, implementation, and evaluation of institutional plans, goals, and strategies; fulfilling the expectations outlined in Adams State’s 2025 Strategic Framework.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing plan to include news/media relations, marketing communications/publications, special events, and use of social media.
- Oversee the creation of and execution of fundraising plans utilizing best practices for annual, major, and planned gift programs. Adams State is in its 100th year and will be launching a major comprehensive campaign over the coming months.
- Oversee the enhancement of alumni relations and support new efforts to engage and renew relationships with close to 25,000 alumni.
- Oversee the coordination and collaboration of event planning to ensure every event represents the image of Adams State to engender and garner support and advocacy for the University.
- Seek and cultivate partnerships to enhance the mission and services of the University.
- Serve as an exemplary advocate in the community with local leaders, business and corporate partners; build relationships closely linking the community with the University and the University with our communities.
- Prepare, recommend, and implement budgets for assigned areas, monitor expenditures, and assure that human and financial resources are allocated efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure institutional compliance with federal, state, and other applicable governing regulations.
- Oversee public relations and communications, including brand management and the development of a strategic communication strategy with a wide array of audiences and through a variety of platforms.
- Prepare and disseminate information to the internal university community as well as to local and state media.
- Promote and publicize institutional activities and programs through development of marketing materials and a strategic advertising plan.
- Foster a culture of quality service to internal customers in the development of marketing materials and University publications.
- Provide consultation to the President and Executive Council on communication and public relations matters.
- Support the Adams State University President and Board of Trustees with public communication as needed.
- Oversee the operations of the Print Shop.
- Oversee the collection, analysis, and distribution of statistical data to drive performance.
- Coordinate with the President to advance the University’s legislative agenda.
- Oversee the university’s events management operations to ensure internal and external clients are able to host the kind of experience to enhance their perspective of Adams State University.
- Establish and maintain strong collaborations across campus to support event planning and execution.
- Develop strategies to increase the number of events held on campus.
- Oversee the programs, activities, and communications designed to increase alumni pride in and active engagement with the university.
- Build a network and volunteer structure to support alumni engagement to promote theUniversity.
- Create short- and long-term strategies aimed at increasing lifelong engagementbetween alumni and the University.
- Support and collaborate with the Vice President for Student Affairs to ensure a strong parent and family program which leads to stronger ties to the University.
- Provide active leadership, direction, and expertise to all fundraising programs for the university, including annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, major gifts, planned giving, and prospect research.
- Serve as point of contact and leadership for the University’s Centennial Campaign.
- Collaborate with the Adams State President and other university leadership to increase private charitable support for the university’s initiatives.
- Ensure timely and accurate updates of progress and information are provided to the President.
- Collaborate with the Foundation staff to ensure strong relationships are developed with key donors; work with the staff to develop strategies to secure major gifts and donations to the University.
- Support, promote, and coordinate with the Center’s Director to advance the work inland and water conservation and education in the San Luis Valley.
- Master’s degree in business administration, marketing, communication, fund-raising, or related field.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in public relations, marketing, fundraising or related areas.
- Experience with internal and external communities with high cultural and ethnic diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a strong and talented team.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of higher education.
- Ability to perform with a high degree of diplomacy, confidentiality, and professionalism.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple responsibilities and meet multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with diverse internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to treat others with respect, civility, and courtesy and to work honestly, effectively, and collegially with employees, students, and the community. This includes the ability to use appropriate conflict management skills to effectively manage any disagreement that might arise or to bring the disagreement to management for assistance in productive resolution when the situation requires.
- Leadership experience in higher education public relations, marketing, fund-raising, or related areas.
- Experience in a Hispanic Serving Institution or a Minority Serving Institution.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish