Title: General Counsel
Department: Office of General Counsel
Campus Location: Normal, ILGeneral Summary
The General Counsel is administratively responsible for all legal matters affecting Illinois State University and provides legal counsel to the President and administrative officers. The General Counsel will ensure the efficient and prompt delivery of legal services to Illinois State University; make periodic reports to the President on outstanding litigation matters; provide strategic and tactical guidance and direction in all aspects of the management of the Office of the General Counsel, including personnel and budget; establish general guidelines for legal services; coordinate legal interpretations and opinions as to policies, procedures, rules and regulations affecting operating procedures, personnel and students; maintain current knowledge of the latest national, state and local developments affecting Illinois State University; provide assistance to the President as requested; serve on the President's Cabinet; and other duties as assigned by the President.Required Qualifications
1. J.D. or LL.B. degree from an ABA accredited law school
2. Ten years as a practicing attorney in a complex higher education, government, non-profit, corporate or other organization with comparable complexity; five years of that experience in higher education law
3. Member in good standing of the State Bar of Illinois (by the time of appointment)
4. Excellent independent judgment and decision-making skills
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills
6. Strong management and interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate
7. Experience supervising/managing other attorneys, department staff, outside consultants, and budgets
1. General Counsel experience or Associate General Counsel experience in public higher education in Illinois
2. Admission to Federal Courts in Illinois
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
Effectively communicate on a daily basis.
Pay is commensurate with qualifications and experience, combined with an excellent benefits packageRequired Applicant Documents
Candidates should provide a resume, cover letter, and a reference list containing the names and contact information of three professional references.
PLEASE NOTE: These documents are required to be submitted online in order to complete the application process. Please have these documents ready prior to clicking on "Apply"Special Instructions for Applicants
Initial review of applications will begin on December 20 and continue until the postiion is filled.Contact Information for Applicants
This position is subject to a criminal background investigation based on University Policy 3.1.30 and any offer of employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or other state or federal law you may request an accommodation by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access at (309) 438-3383. The Office of Equal Opportunity and Access will hold any confidential information you provide in confidence.
If you are having difficulty accessing the system, please call Human Resources at (309) 438-8311.