Transportation Institute Program Specialist
JOB SUMMARY: Deliver training and implement specifically designed college and/or company transportation programs, and coordinate and supervise the day-to-day operation of all types of training.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Conduct pre-trip, concourse and behind the wheel training for students developing the basic skills required to safely and legally operate a commercial vehicle on the public roadway in all types of road, terrain and weather conditions. These duties would require individuals being able to climb in and out of truck cab/trailers, lift up to 50 pounds, and be able to demonstrate/model best practices in driving vehicles to ensure safety and efficiency. Maintain student records and information with respect to the Transportation Institute student training jackets for each individual trainee.
- Assist the Director in the development, organization and preparation of training materials, lesson plans, supplies and equipment needed for classroom and laboratory activities to meet program criteria.
- Assist in the delivery of the classroom portion of the training program or related contract training programs including state and federal regulations, hours of service, loading, vehicle inspections, defensive driving, lifestyle issues, extreme driving conditions, trip planning, safety, communication and customer/company relations.
- Upon referral from the Director/Assistant Director, tutor students in specific content areas or practical application where remediation assistance is required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or equivalent.
Four years commercial vehicle operator experience. Current Class A commercial vehicle driver’s license, including air brake endorsement, without any disqualifying convictions as outlined in the federal motor carrier safety regulations. Strong communication skills. Ability to plan, organize and manage time. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a professional working relationship with a wide variety of individuals coming from diverse backgrounds. Knowledge of current software applications.Pre-employment drug testing after job offer has been made is required, as is a release authorizing past/current employers to provide information related to alcohol and drugs. After employment, employees will be subject to further drug and alcohol testing in accordance with DOT regulations. Pre-employment medical exam as required by DOT after job offer has been made.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Training experience in transportation industry.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Hand & Foot coordination
- Neck rotation
- Floor to Waist lift 45 lbs
- Carry 45 × 15 ft
- Horizontal push 70 lbs
- Horizontal pull 100 lbs
- Grip 20 lbs* Climbing 18”
- Forward reaching at 60 in
- Overhead reaching and neck extension
Mobility accommodations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and determined by the essential functions of this position.
Prior to starting employment, all persons are required to have a post offer, pre-employment physical verifying the physical ability to perform the duties described.
PHYSICAL DEMAND CATEGORY: Heavy