Posting Number: req7798
Department: UAHS Research
Location: University of Arizona Health Sciences
Address: 1670 E Drachman St, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
Position HighlightsThe University of Arizona Health Sciences (UAHS) and Innovations in Healthy Aging (IHA), a University of Arizona Health Sciences Strategic Initiative, are seeking a Business Manager (Administrative Operations Professional I). This position will be shared (0.5 FTE/0.5 FTE) between the Sr VP of Health Affairs, Finance Office and the IHA, with different reporting lines for each position.
Reporting to the Administrator of Business and Finance for the SVPHA, Finance the Business Manager will be responsible for supporting the financial & operational needs of units within the Health Sciences which include budgeting, financial/data management, operational workflows, management and improvement of various business operating procedures.
Reporting to the Director of IHA, the Business Manager will be responsible for supporting business needs for the initiative, which include budgeting, financial planning, data management, contract and business documentation, workflow management and the improvement of various business operating procedures including capital property inventory control management.
The selected candidate should be skilled in budgeting, financial management, contract negotiation, management of multiple simultaneous projects, application of policies and procedures, and working with short and competing deadlines. The ideal candidate will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Employee COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
All University employees, including student workers and graduate assistants/associates, must verify that they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless they have been granted a religious or disability/medical accommodation.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Create and manage budgets; manage integrity of budget data in budget system for multiple funding sources to ensure accurate reports.
- Manage budget loads in university system.
- Control, manage and record operational and special budgets; manage and control expenditures in accordance with budgeted amounts.
- Prepare financial and administrative reports needed internally and externally. Analyze and interpret statistics, financial data, and management planning data for predicting resource needs and developing long range plans.
- Manage and plan for the needs of staff, capital equipment/improvements, supplies and services, including space needs.
- Develop and establish procedures for the budget process and daily operations according to policies and procedures established by the department, college, university and outside governing agencies.
- Perform all day-to-day business functions including, but not limited to, disbursements, account maintenance and reconciliation, procurement, fund transfers, and purchasing card transactions.
- Work with faculty to prepare budgets and required certifications for grant proposals.
Other Business Processes
- Manage the process and serve as initial contact for non-sponsored projects contract needs, including working with university contracting services. Assist the IHA Director and IHA leadership in the review and negotiation of terms and conditions. Work with the Office of General Counsel, Tech Launch Arizona (TLA), Procurement and Contracting Services (PACS), and other university administrative offices, as needed.
- Manage a variety of business, financial and operational processes and/or projects as needed, including updating and improving processes and practices.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, along with the ability to interact effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of contract legal terms and intellectual property and confidentiality issues.
- Demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills, along with the ability to work within tight and conflicting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to be detailed oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to think quickly and effectively in verbal negotiations.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- One (1) year of relevant work experience.
- Bachelor's degree in business or equivalent advanced learning attained through experience required.
* Highly prefer UArizona experience.
* 5-8 years of relevant work experience.
* Master's degree in business administration, accounting, or closely related field.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Organizational Administration
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $28.33
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Annisa Westcott | email@example.com | 520-626-8447
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.