Postdoctoral Research Associate I
Posting Number: req7691
Department: Water Resources Rsch Ctr-Res
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The Post-doctoral Research Associate will provide support and contribute leadership to various programs at the Water Resources Research Center (WRRC), particularly the Diversifying Voices in Water Resources initiative (DViWR) and activities related to the WRRC's engagement with Arizona's more rural counties and regions. The Research Associate will help shape and carry out both independent and collaborative research to advance the understanding of water resources topics in Arizona and wider region. The position will require advanced knowledge of community engagement, science translation, and water resources policy and decision-making processes to support outreach that increases awareness and literacy on water resources issues and builds capacity, especially among disadvantaged groups. The successful candidate will have experience applying engagement strategies and technologies to address environmental or water-related issues and experience with multidisciplinary research. Skills in independent research, teamwork, and communication are also required. The anticipated duration of this position is at least 24 months.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, vision, and life insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Employee COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
All University employees are required to submit documentation demonstrating they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless granted a religious or disability/medical accommodation. New hires must submit their COVID-19 vaccine documentation or accommodation request no later than one week after their hire date or by December 8, 2021, whichever occurs later. To learn more about the employee COVID-19 vaccine requirement, submitting vaccine documentation, and/or requesting an accommodation, please visit https://hr.arizona.edu/content/employee-covid-19-vaccine-requirement.
Duties & Responsibilities
- In collaboration with WRRC faculty and staff, define research goals and strategies for Phase II of the DViWR initiative
- Design and implement research activities to achieve DViWR goals
- Investigate and identify water information needs of selected rural counties and regions in Arizona
- Develop outreach plans and engagement tools for WRRC programs based on DViWR research
- Collaborate on preparation of outreach and engagement materials
- Establish communication with University of Arizona researchers to develop multidisciplinary proposals for additional funding
- Write and/or edit materials for academic and general audiences
- Present information to professional meetings and local, regional, and statewide forums
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Qualitative and quantitative research skills, including ability to
understand and interpret the results of statistical techniques, models,
and comparative research methods
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communications skills
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse array of individuals and groups
- Familiarity with basic hydrologic concepts and Southwestern water issues
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat software
- PhD degree in a field with relevance to the position description and requirements upon hire.
- Research and/or professional experience in water resources policy, planning, and management
- Experience in public outreach and stakeholder engagement
- Experience using ArcGIS applications
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: 51,500 (DOE)
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Curriculum Vitae (CV), Cover Letter, and One Additional Document
Special Instructions to Applicant
Upload a file with contact information (name, email address, telephone number) of three (3) professional references under the "Additional File" tab.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.