Department Chair, Nutrition
Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH) is one of the nation’s leading academic institutions for natural medicine and holistic approaches to health and wellness. For nearly 40 years, MUIH has educated and informed practitioners and leaders in health and wellness through transformative and relationship-centered programs that draw from contemporary science and traditional wisdom. Progressive graduate degrees in a wide range of disciplines are offered both on campus and online. The on-site Natural Care Center offers compassionate and affordable healthcare provided by clinical student interns in University Teaching Clinics and from highly skilled faculty practitioners. For staff and faculty, MUIH offers a collaborative and vibrant work environment that is mission and values-driven.
The Nutrition Department Chair serves as both an administrative and academic leader for the current graduate degree(s) and future-related degrees and certificates in the nutrition field. The Department Chair oversees all aspects of the department, including programs, students, faculty, and staff, and is responsible for quality assurance in all domains of the department. Critical to the work and success of this position is a commitment to a collaborative and continuous improvement mindset; diverse perspectives and approaches; and MUIH’s core values of community, mindfulness, integrity, inquisitiveness, and discernment.
This is a full-time position that is primarily administrative but includes 6 credits of teaching per academic year. The Department Chair serves as a member of the University’s leadership team and contributes to the deliberations and implementation of University policies and practices. This position reports to the Dean of Academic Affairs.
This position can be remote/hybrid with instances where a presence on campus is required.
Responsibilities/duties include, but are not limited to:
- Lead, manage, and administer nutrition doctoral degrees, master’s degrees, and certificate programs including overall strategic planning, budget development, program planning, and review
- Oversee current and new curriculum design, development, delivery, and assessment processes
- Oversee the recruitment, hiring, selection, development, and evaluation processes for adjunct and salaried faculty
- Supervise and manage departmental staff
- Ensure that the Nutrition program/department meets the standards set by accrediting bodies and credentialing organizations
- Represent the Nutrition programs/department and MUIH to external audiences and constituents
- Oversee the coordination and management of experiential learning to ensure an integrative experience for students
- Participate in student recruitment efforts and collaborate with Marketing and Advancement
- Build alumni relationships
- Teach 6 credits per academic year
- Serve as MUIH liaison to Accreditation Council for Nutrition Professional Education (ACNPE) and the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists (BCNS)
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Qualifications
- Master's degree in nutrition or a related field
- 3+ years of academic administrative experience in higher education and/or faculty experience in higher education
- Experience with curriculum development and evaluation, and program development and delivery
- Experience with budget management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Alignment with MUIH’s core values and mission
- Doctoral degree in a nutrition-related field
- Licensed Nutritionist and/or Registered Dietitian
- Experience with online education
Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated ability to think creatively, strategically and critically
Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills
Demonstrated leadership skills and planning and organizational skills
Supervise ranked faculty, adjunct faculty, director of nutrition experiential programs, director of whole foods cooking labs, and department manager
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
This job operates in a professional office environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
DISCLAIMER: This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.