Senior Door Hardware Technician
Kennesaw State University
Job ID: 231501
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full Time
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. KSU offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 35,000 students. With 13 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the third-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Ranked a top choice for students by U.S. News, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Performs independent and moderately complex door access maintenance work, including detection and correction of mechanical failures. Performs all general, preventative and supportive maintenance tasks. Assists other staff and leadership with emergency and corrective and/or preventative maintenance.
- Inspects buildings, fixtures, machines and other structural and/or mechanical units, noting need for repair, performs minor maintenance, such as cleaning and lubricating
- Responsible for installation, modification, testing and preventative maintenance associated with University locks included cored and electronic locks
- Installs, maintains and repairs locks, door closers, electronic locking devices and related hardware including changing, setting and re-keying door cylinders and plugs
- Fabricates door, desk, file cabinets and master keys, including removing broken keys from locks
- Cleans, re-pins, and lubricated malfunctioning lock cores and picking locks when keys are lost
- Creates and maintains key records including key issuance and key core code roster, updating records to accurately reflect key losses, recording, new key and key returns
- Maintains overall control of a key and lock control system
- Maintains lock shop and inventory control, setting up and maintaining control of a master key system
- Sets up and operates all types of service equipment, machines and hand tools required in lock shop
- Maintains all locks, lock systems and architectural hardware systems within campus facilities
- Complies with University key control policy and provides keys only to authorized individuals, ensuring that key requests conform to established University security and key control policies
- Responds to service calls at irregular hours to cope with safety hazards and/or urgent locks situations
- Cuts new and duplicate keys, stamping with keys identifications
High school diploma or equivalent
Other Required Qualifications
Current, valid and unrestricted Georgia driver's license
Three (3) years of locksmith experience including the use of electronic locking systems
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Completion of an appropriate Locksmith Apprenticeship Program, Door Hardware Institute (DHI) or SALTO Systems Installer Certification
Working knowledge of "Best" and "Schlage" key systems
Knowledge of Salto networking locking system
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Able to diagnose malfunctions and defects in equipment and tools; determine the appropriate corrective measures
- Able to locate and correct defects in locks and panic hardware.
- Able to disassemble locks and repair and replace worn tumblers, springs and other parts.
- Ability to understand and comply with building codes, electrical codes, fire codes, plumbing codes and other technical standards and specifications is required
- Able to adapt to changing work environments
- Able to work in high places as necessary
- Able to build upon existing knowledge in technical application of maintenance work
- Able to deal with multiple tasks or projects at one time
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, tools, equipment and materials, used in a variety of Locksmith trade
- Knowledge of low voltage devices for installations, connection, repair and replacement.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions in the use of tools and equipment
- Knowledge of appropriate safety standards
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, technology, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
- Proficient with computer applications and programs (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
- Strong Attention to detail and strong organizational and follow up skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone etiquette
- This is not a supervisory position.
- This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
- Yes, this position will be required to drive.
- This role is considered a position of trust.
- This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
- This position may travel 25% - 49% of the time
- This position does not require security clearance.
- Standard Enhanced + DMV
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials. https://www.usg.edu/hr/assets/hr/hrap_manual/HRAP_Background_Investigation_Employment.pdf
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=231501&PostingSeq=1