Director of Library Services
JOB TITLE: Director of Library Services
SUPERVISOR: Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
This job description provides a general outline of duties and qualifications of the position. Other duties may be assigned and the description may be changed at any time. It is not intended to limit normal change and growth nor prevent employees from working to ensure the success of our endeavors.
As part of the leadership team, and in collaboration with the TCS Education System Librarian and other academic stakeholders, the Director of Library Services will provide leadership and direction for the development and management of the KansasCOM Medical Library. The successful candidate will be a strong, resourceful leader with a vision of how the KSCOM Medical Library can continue to meet the evolving information needs of its constituents and add value to the KansasCOM teaching and learning community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative leadership, and overall direction for the library, including strategic, financial, and space planning
- Provide day to day management of all library operations and services
- Works in collaboration with faculty, the TCS Education System librarian, and other academic stakeholders to develop collections and services that effectively support the study, research, and teaching needs of the KansasCOM community
- Participates in the ongoing assessment and review of the library's collections and services
- Provides reference and liaison services in-person, by phone, e-mail, chat, and other means of inquiry
- Collaborate with faculty and other departments to develop instruction in support of medical education, residency, and fellowship programs
- Servers as a member of TCS Education System Libraries Leadership Team, Collection Development, and other management groups as appropriate
- Participates actively in continuous professional development through professional conferences, courses, webinars, etc.
- Represent the library locally, regionally, and national
- MLS from an ALA-accredited program.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a medical library
- Demonstrated leadership ability and management experience
- Experience in providing library services and instruction.
- Collection development and assessment skills
- Working knowledge of library information systems, technology, and research tool
- Ability to work independently as well as function as part of a team.
- Ability to exercise excellent time management and organizational skills, creativity and ability to be flexible.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Collegial and collaborative attitude
- Successful decision making, problem-solving ability, and planning skills
- Ability and motivation for continuous professional development growth
- Ability to meet deadlines and to work effectively in an environment of rapid development and change
- Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication.
- Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions.
- Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting.
- Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 25 lbs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.Kansas Health Science Center offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events. Kansas Health Science Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Company:Kansas Health Science Center