Assistant Director for Sensor Analytics & Smart Devices Platforms
Posting Number: req7746
Department: UAHS Research
Location: University of Arizona Health Sciences
Address: 1670 E Drachman St, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
The Center of Biomedical Informatics and Biostatistic (CB2) in collaboration with the Data Science Institute (DSI) are looking for an Assistant Director for Sensor Analytics & Smart Devices Platforms to establish a new team under CB2 to support this cross cutting need and growth.
Availability and adoption of consumer grade wearables, smart devices, IoT (Internet of Things) sensors and mobile platforms are providing data streams at unprecedented rates, presenting amazing opportunities for health science researchers to design innovative studies and interventions.
Ability to design novel sensors, embedded devices, edge computing and integration with Machine Learning (ML), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and cloud computing platforms is allowing engineers and data scientists to obtain measurements while enabling rapid analytics and quantification. Allowing biomedical researchers to operationalize their innovative studies and interventions.
University of Arizona is home to a vibrant and collaborative community of physician scientists, health care providers, behavioral intervention researchers, engineers, technologists and computational experts that make use of these technologies. Coupled with recent strategic institutional investments in the Sensor lab, Secure Data Analysis enclave, the UArizona is uniquely poised to further leverage these capabilities at much larger scales.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision
insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick
leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified
family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation
and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our
innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University
of Arizona and relocations services, please visit http://talent.arizona.edu.
Employee COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
All University employees are required to submit
documentation demonstrating they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a
condition of employment unless granted a religious or disability/medical
accommodation. New hires must submit their COVID-19 vaccine documentation or
accommodation request no later than one week after their hire date or by
December 8, 2021, whichever occurs later. To learn more about the employee
COVID-19 vaccine requirement, submitting vaccine documentation, and/or
requesting an accommodation, please visit
Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish and develop a technical team that supports mHealth/Digital Health initiatives.
- Develop shared infrastructure to support UAHS projects in mHealth/Digital Health space.
- Develop training programs, learning opportunities for effective use of these technologies by domain scientists and practitioners.
- Cultivate talent pool of trained students and staff to support ongoing projects.
- Develop cross cutting activities and demonstrations with departments and centers that are developing sensors, devices and analysis tools and technologies. Create a roadmap to integrate these advances into proposals and projects.
- Explore collaboration with private sector for developing partnerships.
- Ensures ethical and regulatory aspects of research programs by working closely with granting agencies and regulators asrequired by research program.
- Collaborate with UAHS researchers for developing proposals involving use of sensors, IoT and smart devices.
- Develops and reviews strategic and operational plans. Aligns resources and staffing accordingly.
- Collaborate with Strategic Initiatives for incorporating sensors/IoT/smart device best practices, with emphasis on data management, privacy and security.
- Oversees and implements research policies, program development, and research operations. Directs, instructs, and checks progress and operations of Research Staff.
- Establish UAHS mHealth/Digital Health data management strategy to meet NIH guidelines and promote internal sharing of data across projects.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of 9 years of related work experience, including 5 years of managerial experience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Experience leading a team, project, program, or function is required.
* MS or PhD in Computer/Information Sciences/Engineer or related fields and 2 years of relevant experience.
* Past product development experience in the mHealth field to lead the development from an idea stage all the way up to product deployment.
* Experience in designing cloud based HIPAA compliant platforms for real-time analysis with sensor data.
* Ability to conduct data analysis using machine learning and statistical methods, as well as develop and design systems for reporting and visualization.
* An excellent knowledge of computer science fundamentals and advanced topics - Operating systems, embedded programming, networking protocols over BLE, WiFi & Zigbee, Algorithms and Data Structures, Applications of machine learning, Fundamentals of signal processing, and software engineering.
* Experience with writing academic proposals, conducting research in an academic setting, and publishing findings in academic journals.
* This position requires the candidate to closely work with members from the medical domain. A basic understanding of medical terminology, biomedical sensors, public medical databases, ECG, PPG based HR systems is a plus.
* Experience managing teams for UX design, QA, and software development.
* Comfortable working with and incorporating agile and data driven workflows.
* Since this position requires active participation in several different product development stages, a technical understanding of the following is required:
* Experience working with the following frameworks - Flutter, native Android and iOS development.
* Data Science Tools - Jupyter Notebook, Anaconda, Keras, TensorFlow.
* Cloud based infrastructure - Amazon AWS, Google Cloud.
* Design and project management - Adobe XD, Jira.
* Analytics and App tracking - Google Firebase, Twilio, Smartlook, Google Analytics.
* Must show past experience of understanding several product development KPI (Key performance indicators) such as DAU, MAU, Retention Rate, etc. to be able to make data driven decisions for the success of the product / platform.
* A based level understanding of logistics such as product packaging, shipping pipeline, product support infrastructure.
* Past experience with open source projects.
* Master's Degree preferred.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Researchers & Scientists
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Nirav Merchant | firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.