Associate Director of Affinity & Identity Engagement
Macalester College’s Engagement Department seeks to hire an Associate Director of Affinity & Identity Engagement.This is a new position that offers an opportunity for a mid-career visionary team player to build and shape a program to deepen Macalester’s alumni ownership through engagement and philanthropic opportunities related to affinity and identity. The person in this role will be charged with defining a vision, determining an affinity and identity engagement strategy (in partnership with the Director of Alumni Engagement and the Senior Associate Director of the Macalester Fund), and will have the skills to implement and maintain the strategy. This work will include fundraising related to identity and affinity groups. Because this is a new role, the ability to define a realistic scope of work will be a key component.
About the Engagement Department:
Macalester’s Engagement team works to expand the number of alumni and other constituents engaged with Macalester and facilitate their relationships through events, volunteering, and giving opportunities. The Engagement team includes Alumni Engagement, Special Events, and the Macalester Fund (annual giving), working within the broader context of the Advancement division to build a pipeline of future support for the college. The 18 person Engagement team works collaboratively to develop community-centric engagement and fundraising strategies. We approach our work through an equity lens, and pride ourselves on being innovative and forward-thinking.
- Builds an engagement strategy and structure to create and strengthen relationships and connectedness with alumni in affinity and identity groups, including creating and cultivating new and existing online communities.
- Designs and delivers meaningful opportunities to increase participation, volunteerism, giving, and interaction among identity and affinity groups, which may include, but are not limited to alumni of color, LGBTQIA+ alumni, etc.
- Creates communication plans to strengthen the relationship between identity and affinity groups and the college. Via one-to-many communications, shares campus updates, happenings, engagement, and fundraising opportunities with these audiences.
- Creates, promotes, and leads, in coordination with the Macalester Fund team and Development teams, identity- and affinity-related giving opportunities using a one-to-many approach in building community fundraising goals.
- Conceptualizes, plans, and executes collaborative programming and events that engage diverse alumni and incorporate fundraising elements, for example, affinity and identity Reunions.
- Cultivates, recruits, and trains alumni to serve as leaders within current and future affinity and identity groups. Shapes volunteer leadership structure for affinity and identity groups.
- Work closely with campus partners including other partners in Advancement; Student Affairs; Career Exploration; Entrepreneurship and Innovation; Admissions; leaders of our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts across campus; and more.
- Engages in and promotes Macalester’s culture of diversity and inclusion, encompassing individuals of any heritage, identity, status, or orientation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in direct volunteer management, community engagement, and/or previous experience in fundraising, preferably in higher education or non-profit setting.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Previous experience planning programs and engaging diverse constituents, identifying and surfacing new and emerging areas of potential growth, experience in a higher-ed setting and/or working with college students;
- Good public speaking skills; and the ability to work collaboratively.
- Knowledge of engagement and solicitation practices, volunteer management, and collaborative work.
- Ability to analyze trends and make recommendations.
- The successful applicant will be a motivated self-starter with the ability to see the many potential opportunities and hone in on the areas of work that will provide the greatest success and impact. Candidates must share the college’s commitment to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all staff, faculty, and students.
- Demonstrates the commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity. Actively engages in learning and practicing principles of social justice and inclusion to increase individual capacity to support institutional changes that create and sustain a more welcoming and inclusive environment across the Macalester Community.
Compensation & Benefits:
The total compensation for this position includes an annual salary of $57,000 - $62,000 based on qualifications. This role is 1.0 FTE and offers full access to Macalester’s Benefits package.
For best consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage. Priority will be given to applications received by November 28th, 2021 and the position will be posted until filled.
All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.
Our Commitment to Safety in response to COVID-19:
For the safety of our community, Macalester requires all employees to have received a COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Should a newly hired employee be unable to receive the vaccination for either medical or religious reasons we offer accommodations and assistance.
Questions or concerns about this process should be directed to Bob Graf, Director of Employment Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org