Research Laboratory Manager I (YUMA, AZ)
Posting Number: req7693
Address: Yuma, AZ USA
Position HighlightsThis position is responsible for the laboratory operations of YCEDA's lab in Yuma, AZ and will conduct/support research in wastewater-based epidemiology and other public health and agriculture related projects. Job duties will include managing the day-to-day lab operations, developing and adapting laboratory protocols and procedures, performing and overseeing scientific experiments and laboratory tests, training and supervising research technicians and student workers, maintaining BSL-2 protocols and certification, coordinating safety inspections, maintaining, operating, and troubleshooting lab equipment and instruments, data collection, monitoring and maintaining inventory of lab supplies and materials, documenting findings, preparing technical and summary reports, and assisting with presentations to various internal and external groups.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Employee COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
All University employees are required to submit documentation demonstrating they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless granted a religious or disability/medical accommodation. New hires must submit their COVID-19 vaccine documentation or accommodation request no later than one week after their hire date or by December 8, 2021, whichever occurs later. To learn more about the employee COVID-19 vaccine requirement, submitting vaccine documentation, and/or requesting an accommodation, please visit https://hr.arizona.edu/content/employee-covid-19-vaccine-requirement.
Duties & Responsibilities
Insert Duties and Responsibilities here
Manage Laboratory Research & Operations
- Collaborate with researchers to develop, implement, test and evaluate methods and protocols to support public health and agricultural research
- Develop, adapt, and oversee laboratory protocols, procedures and strategies to ensure high quality testing and regulatory compliance
- Set up, conduct, and oversee laboratory tests and experiments
- Collect and compile research data, interpret test results and report findings
- Maintain, operate, troubleshoot laboratory equipment and instruments
- Coordinate procurement of lab supplies and materials, monitor and maintain inventory
Data collection may take place outdoors on days with high heat or rain.
Direct, Instruct, and Supervise Laboratory Personnel
- Recommend staffing and resources to maintain/improve lab efficiency and optimize workflow
- Determine weekly schedule, work assignments, and priorities
- Communicate performance expectations, manage performance and provide feedback to lab staff
- Provide technical expertise and training on lab procedures and techniques
- Demonstrate use and care of equipment and protocols
- Ensure lab staff complete required trainings and maintain certifications and knowledge of techniques and procedures
- Conduct performance evaluations
- Foster and maintain a productive, healthy, and safe work environment
Presentations and Reports
- Prepare technical and summary reports
- Participate in presentations to internal and external groups
Bachelor's degree AND Minimum of 3 years of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience required.
Valid driver's license and Ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Research & Lab
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Dr. Stephanie Slinski
Associate Director, Applied Research & Development
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.