Student Accounts Specialist
Aurora University seeks talented staff and administrators who are passionate about supporting an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
Position Purpose: The Student Accounts Specialist supports learning by assisting parents and students with questions regarding accounts policies, account balances and by maintaining the third-party payment plan, monthly payment plan, student refunds, and daily balancing.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers, and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handles all information with tact and discretion and recognizes the confidential nature of university business.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Answers questions parents and students may have regarding student’ accounts. Researches any billing discrepancies.
- Proactively outreaches to students regarding balances due to incomplete financial aid files, providing guidance on payment options and system functionalities, minimizing defaulted student accounts and reducing University debt.
- Liaison between the Office of the Registrar and Financial Aid for student accounts inquiries.
- Invoices and bills miscellaneous and student accounts for miscellaneous charges, fines, parking tickets, and bookstore charges; send monthly statements.
- Maintains Deferred Payment Plan program and bills students appropriately.
- Maintains accounts for students participating in the Monthly Payment Plan. Communicates with students regarding payment due dates and missed payments or underpayments.
- Assist in the collection activity for any unpaid student.
- Post transactions involving cash receipts, disbursements, and /or accounts payable and account receivable to ledger accounts.
- Coordinates student refunds due to overpayment and excess financial aid funds in accordance with federal and state policies.
- Assists the Director of Student Accounts with office webpage updates and changes.
- Provides excellent customer service to students and parents with goal of solution-based outcomes.
- Serves as primary back-up to cashier.
- Any other duties assigned.
Essential Job Requirements:
- High school diploma is required. Some college coursework is preferred.
- Knowledge of basic accounts receivable accounting is required either through appropriate coursework or previous work experience.
- Previous data entry experience required.
- Previous office work required.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Good math and calculator skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel.
- Word processing skills.
- Detailed oriented.
- Completes tasks independently.
- Ability to spend long periods of time at a computer workstation.
- Ability to move about campus and other locations.
- Minor lifting requirements, such as files or copy paper boxes as needed.
- Ability to use general office equipment.
- Ability to interact in person, via electronic media, and on the telephone.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.