Faculty - Nursing (Non-Tenure Track)
The University of Texas Permian Basin
Department: College of Health Sciences and Human Performance
Job DescriptionThe University of Texas Permian Basin's College of Health Services and Human Performance - School of Nursing invites applications for a Faculty in Nursing.
REPORTS TO: Dean
SALARY RANGE: $65,000.00 to $70,000.00 (9-months)
The Faculty in Nursing teaches courses in accordance with the schedule of classes and follows the approved course descriptions and syllabi established and administered by the Dean with the approval of the Provost. Non-teaching assignments include instructional development, academic advising and mentoring students, working as effective team members, participating in university-wide activities and task forces, and other appropriate responsibilities.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
1. Teach a variety of classes in accordance with the course syllabus and University policy while actively seeking ways to improve instruction. Continue to update and revise course content and teaching methodology in order to maintain currency and relevance.
2. Collaborate and/or provide assistance to associate faculty in regard to course content and instructional materials.
3. Provide instruction consistent with evidence-based practice and research activities for generating new knowledge
1. Post and observe office hours for purposes of academic advising and student consultation. Hold office hours at times that are most convenient for students. Meet with students as needed by appointment.
2. Advise and assist students during the ongoing registration process. Maintain general knowledge of degree requirements, programs, and course transfer information.
1. Actively participate and attend department, division, and university-wide committees and meetings.
2. Actively participate in assisting the University in maintaining standards required for accreditation.
3. Participate in full regalia in official graduation ceremonies and other official functions as requested by the Dean.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Dean and/or Provost.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. Once hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of the hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employees must be able and willing to travel and perform duties away from campus as necessary and must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver's license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver's record.
The University of Texas Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and persons from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EOE, including disability/vets
UTPB participates in e-Verify
The University offers an excellent compensation package that includes a broad range of employee benefits, including free health insurance (employee only) as well as a generous retirement program. We invite you to learn more at www.utpb.edu.
Required QualificationsREQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Master's in Nursing (MSN) required.
2. Experience in baccalaureate nursing education and curriculum development desired.
3. Proven expertise in behavioral health or medical/surgical practice desired.
4. Unencumbered license to practice nursing in TX or another compact state required (or eligible for licensure.)
5. The ability to successfully pass a criminal background check.
In this position, the Faculty Member would be expected to have or possess:
1. Ability to handle highly confidential material. All information must be kept in strict confidence and should not be discussed anywhere other than in the appropriate professional setting.
2. Maintain State Licensure and any other nursing-related certifications. Continue active participation in professional organizations as appropriate.
3. Demonstrate commitment to developing and maintaining academic programs of distinction serving a variety of students.
4. Have a thorough knowledge of instructional educational methods and techniques. Maintain familiarity with current texts, materials, teaching aids, and techniques relative to courses within the discipline and recommend their adoption when appropriate. Coordinate, plan, organize and instruct courses as assigned. Have the ability to teach the course material in ways that maximize student learning. Employ appropriate teaching and learning strategies to communicate subject matter to students. Utilize available instructional technology, i.e. the Internet and other interactive technology, when appropriate.
5. Create a learning environment that is safe, respectful, and interesting as well as fair for students from various cultural backgrounds, gender identities, races, ability levels, and developmental needs. Leads rigorous, inquiry-based learning tasks to engage students in deep content exploration as well as the habits of scholarship. Fosters creative thinking, reasoning, and problem-solving skills.
6. Reviews and evaluates one's own teaching and learning strategies and methodologies to ensure the curriculum is relevant and appropriate. Play an active role in the maintenance of academic standards and in the development of educational policy and of curriculum areas within the discipline including the initiation and development of subject material.
7. Perform curricular tasks auxiliary to teaching and research, e.g., serving on faculty committees, attending to administrative and disciplinary tasks, fostering intellectual curiosity and integrity in the student body.
8. Provide support and in some cases provide the leadership for student recruitment, marketing, and in general activities that "build" a program within the clinical setting. Support student activities, include course and career guidance to students, mentor, graduate, and foster a love of learning.
9. Possesses exemplary customer skills, including dealing effectively with the students, staff, and general public both in person, through electronic media, and over the telephone. Demonstrates understanding and sensitivity to the needs of all prospective as well as current students.
10. Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office (specifically, Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook) and have the self-motivation and the ability to stay current with emerging educational technologies.
11. Possess the ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, and faculty to promote positive relations and encourage enrollment.
12. Maintain expertise in the field of study and teaching pedagogy by attending seminars, workshops, and classes for self-improvement and/or professional enhancement.
13. Carry out all responsibilities and objectives in a professional manner.
14. Maintain professionalism when dealing with all staff and other customers while fostering positive working relationships.
15. Adhere to the policies and procedures established by the Texas Board of Regents, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The University of Texas Permian Basin.
Preferred QualificationsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Terminal degree preferred.
Physical DemandsPHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Physical strength/endurance to enable him/her to perform/participate in the following activities:
1. Physically able to lift various materials up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis.
2. Physically able to push, pull, lift and drag.
3. While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain to stand, frequently to continuously.
4. While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain sitting up to 25% of the time.
5. Possesses dexterity abilities required to operate a computer and other equipment to perform related job responsibilities.
6. Ability to travel to and from clinical sites and attend events and conferences.
Posting Number: F155P
Open Until Filled: Yes