Research Technician III - Cancer Center
Posting Number: req7437
Department: Cancer Center Division
Location: UAHS - Tucson
Address: University of Arizona Cancer Center, 1515 N Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724 USA
Position HighlightsA Research Technician position is available immediately in the Sweasy laboratory in the University of Arizona Cancer Center. The University of Arizona Cancer Center (UACC) is dedicated to preventing and curing cancer. The UACC is the only NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center in Arizona and its primary responsibility is to conduct research that will lead to the reduction of cancer morbidity and mortality.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage a mouse colony. Includes planning breedings to generate mice required for experiments and implementing plans; weaning; tagging.
- Collects data by monitoring mouse-oriented parameters.
- Performs various techniques including mouse breeding, blood collection, necropsies, and genotyping, immunohistochemistry, PCR. Assists in preparation of animal protocols.
- Maintains detailed records of experiments and analysis/interpretation of data for investigator.
- Inventory and requisition of supplies for assigned area, and receive shipments.
- Preparation of solutions, reagents, and media according to detailed instructions.
- Assists in cataloging specimens and samples.
- Operates, cleans equipment, and ensures it is in good working order; perform preventive maintenance or minor repairs to laboratory equipment and notify appropriate person when major repairs are deemed necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general science
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to effectively communicate and work as part of a team
- Skill in following detailed instructions
- Previous experience working with mice
- Experience with molecular biology
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required in addition to education requirement.
- Associates' Degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through experience required.
- Master's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment.
- Four years research experience appropriate to the area of assignment.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $14.91 - $20.16
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level: OC3
Job Family: Research & Lab
Job Function: Research
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Dr. Joann Sweasy | firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicant
Application: The online application should be completed in its entirety.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.