Photographer/Multimedia Specialist - University Relations
The department of University Relations at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Photographer/Multimedia Specialist. Under the direction of the Executive Creative Director, the Director of Multimedia, and the Manager of Photography Services, the Multimedia Specialist develops and executes integrated marketing and communication strategies from concept to completion. This position provides creative photography and video/multimedia content of University events, news, sports and marketing campaigns. The Photographer/Multimedia Specialist will work closely with production, photographers, videographers, writers, designers, art directors and marketers to advance, project and protect the reputation and image of West Virginia University. This position is responsible for capturing the academic, research, outreach and student experiences and bringing the institution to life through photography and video content.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Strategize, manage, create and produce the imagery that goes into creating photographic images and videos to promote the University. Execute those strategies to reflect the style and correct voice in promoting the University.
- Create original images and video design work and uses independent judgement and strategic vision to determine how the work is strategically used to enhance WVU's visual presence on various platforms.
- Lead visual projects for the University.
- Generate ideas and visual strategies for photographic and video images.
- Develop conceptual photographic and video imagery for various visual materials for marketing, recruiting activities and promotional purposes for West Virginia University, such as electronic multimedia (i.e., TV, video and sound messages), for web pages, event signage, Infostations, mobile and special exhibits. Immediately respond to photojournalistic and video needs as it relates to time sensitive University events and media coverage.
- Communicate with president, vice presidents, deans, directors, clients, designers, editors and writers regarding their photographic, visual, media and design ideas and the strategic vision and message the images communicate.
- Review images and edits photographs and videos for content, style, quality, etc as it relates to recruiting, marketing, documentary, promotion and archiving.
- Utilize various visual media and multimedia tools such as computers, computer hardware, cameras, video cameras, lights, recorders and various software (i.e. Photoshop, Bridge, Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.) in the development of photographic, video and multimedia materials.
- Research and makes recommendations on the latest trends and technology in still photography, multimedia, social media, web and mobile. Communicate with the ECD, Director of Multimedia, and Manager of Photographic Services on current and future photographic, video and multimedia needs and objectives.
- Travel to various assignments on and off campus. Work evenings and weekends to cover and photograph and/or film media events, sporting events, receptions, commencement, performances, research, speakers, classrooms, campus scenes, etc. Edits and transmits visuals from remote locations in multiple formats as needed.
- Offer training and mentorship to University Relations team members who are new to photography and multimedia.
- Work with, direct and oversee student interns/workers utilized in photographic and video duties. Train and advise student interns/workers on the skills and technique required in photography and multimedia.
- Work as part of a strategic team to help develop and implement WVU integrated marketing activities to further WVU's image in selected markets and with selected constituents. This includes assisting with activities to create and promote the WVU brand to various internal and external audiences and working with various WVU units and mediums to support the university's message.
- Work as part of an integrated marketing team to help develop new messages and imagery that reflect the marketing and communications goals of WVU.
- Help determine appropriate communications that key audiences use based on data collected as part of integrated marketing team.
- Ensure the branding and message integrity/quality of WVU in all communications materials.
- Participates on committees, conducts research and performs other similar duties, as assigned by the ECD, Director of Multimedia and the Manager of Photography Services.
- Bachelor's Degree in photography, multimedia, communications or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One (1) year of experience:
- Creating multimedia, animations and sound.
- Two (2) years of experience:
- Understanding of studio and location lighting.
- Utilizing computer for photo development.
- Communication and organization skills.
- Knowledge of still photography and photographic techniques.
- Knowledge of video, sound, animation, and multimedia.
- Knowledge of camera equipment, lenses, lighting and audio equipment as it relates to photography and video.
- Knowledge of computer software to edit photographic images, video, sound and animation.
- Knowledge of HTML, JPEG, MP4, GIF, WAV, PDF, etc. formats.
- Knowledge of layout and design principles.
- Knowledge of WVU logo and brand identity.
- Knowledge of journalistic skills for content, interviews and research.
- Knowledge of marketing and promotion.
- Demonstrated skills in digital photography and lighting.
- Demonstrated skills in video, sound, animation and multimedia
- Demonstrated skills in resolution and file conversion.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills necessary to interact with clients,manager, and supervisor regarding photography and multimedia.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple projects at once.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent skill working with sensitive or secure issues.
- Demonstrated abilities to operate computer with knowledge of various software including Photoshop, Bridge, Premiere Pro, After Effects.
- Ability to work independently and manage time efficiently with little supervision.
- Ability to assign, mentor, train and oversee the work of others and including interns/student workers.
- Listen to customers and creative team. Understand and ask questions.
- Read and understand work-related material.
- Express ideas clearly when speaking or writing.
- Negotiation -Bringing others together and reconciling differences.
- Work as a team with others from various units across campus and within UR.
- Conribute to team goals and assist in establishing departmental policy and procedures.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Packing, delivering and setting up lighting and camera equipment at various locations (2-4 times per week).
- Delivering finished photographs and projects under tight deadlines (2-4 times per week).
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.