NYTD Youth Outreach Specialist - Center for Excellence in Disabilities
The West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a NYTD Youth Outreach Specialist located in Charleston, WV.This position will support the WVU Center for Excellence in Disabilities by overseeing youth outreach and advocacy support to youth who are enrolled in the Mentoring with Oversight for Developing Independence with Foster Youth (MODIFY) Program and engage in the WVFAM Youth Advocacy Group. This position will also oversee, implement, and document youth surveys related to the National Youth in Transition Database (NYTD) effort for foster and former foster care youth ages 17-21. This position will provide program, as well as direct internal and external client support services. Monitoring and management responsibilities are required for WVFAM development, activities, and coordination. Respond to youth and partner inquiries and independently resolve matters of moderate complexity. Responsibilities require judgment, resourcefulness, and originality. The individual will be able to seek assistance as needed from the program manager but largely work independently. Work effort has considerable impact on client services, program and project image, with potential legal liabilities.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidatae will:
- Develop a youth-led advisory council for the purpose of bringing the youth-voice to remove barriers for successful post-secondary achievement.
- Develop, implement, and oversee schedule of meetings, by-laws, and other needed infrastructure for youth-led organization (WVFAM)
- Recruit youth from throughout the state who may be interested in participating in WVFAM
- Establish reimbursement process for youth's participation and transportation to meetings and activities
- Develop mentorship program and oversee youth discussions about products they would like to complete as a group.
- Review NYTD referrals and input referral into both CED CODA System and the WV Department of Health and Human Resources FACTS system.
- Provide technical assistance to staff, youth, families, foster care providers, and community agencies regarding eligibility or ineligibility.
- Oversee all documentation and responses to providers and youth directly related to NYTD mission and activities.
- Develop, enter data, and maintain MODIFY and NYTD client information to be uploaded into both the CED CODA system and the WV Department of Health and Human Resources FACTS system.
- Maintain standards of confidentiality related to youth information.
- Contact with youth before 17th birthday to establish connection to provide information related to the NYTD survey and link to appropriate resources and services.
- Maintain contact with eligible youth by telephone, social media, letters, and other means of communication.
- Refer enrolled youth to services and supports as requested and eligible.
- Maintain a working knowledge of Information and Referral services available to youth and where to connect youth to those services.
- Administer the NYTD Survey to youth at 17, 19, and 21 years of age in accordance with federal guidelines that prescribe baseline, cohorts, and administration times. Complete proper information security, confidentiality, and protected information trainings are complete for this task.
- Oversee financial reimbursement to youth for their participation in the program activities.
- Pick-up donations and purchase supplies from the community that will be used to develop care packages for youth, as well as putting together care packages for youth and maintaining a spreadsheet for tracking.
- Provide One-to-one follow up support for youth as needs are identified.
- Train DHHR workers and others regarding NYTD Survey, as necessary.
- Collaborate with MODIFY staff and Program Manager to recruit and refer youth to West Virginia Foster Advocacy Movement initiative.
- Associate's degree, or equivalent, from two-year college, or technical school.
- Three (3) years of administrative-related experience, and social services experience or training.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience and former foster youth experience.
- Ability to communicate verbally and non-verbally with adolescents who have experienced trauma and to develop professional, supportive, compassionate relationships with them.
- Thorough/demonstrated knowledge of correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and mathematical calculations.
- Must be proficient in the use of PC and related software programs, including databases and spreadsheets.
- Strong oral and writing skills with emphasized attention to detail and accuracy.
- Thorough knowledge of office methods, procedures, practices and protocol.
- Ability to rapidly learn all academic, administrative and organizational policies and procedures within the affected work area and to interpret and apply these policies to unique work situations.
- Ability to independently identify appropriate applications of a wide variety of complex written policies and procedures in circumstances not clearly described by available guidelines.
- Maintains skills in, or knowledge of, professional principles, legal and/or reporting requirements affecting area of responsibility.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Valid driver's license
About Research Corporation
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 19, 2021
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes