Posting Number: req7327
Department: UAHS Brain Science
Location: University of Arizona Health Sciences
Address: 1670 E Drachman St, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
Position HighlightsThe Center for Innovation in Brain Science (CIBS) is an exciting research nexus at the University of Arizona cultivating collaborations and providing expertise in the area of translational neuroscience. The Faculty in CIBS conduct cutting-edge research primarily related to four specific age-related neurodegenerative disorders - Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Multiple Sclerosis and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.
CIBS is currently seeing a Laboratory Manager to oversee the planning and execution of a multidisciplinary program of research aims to understand the pathophysiology of disease processes, identify targets for therapeutic development and validation of these targets which lead to therapeutic agents. Under indirect supervision, the selected candidate will manage the entire life cycle of the research Program from planning projects through to execution, on schedule and on budget.
Must be an experienced and strong writer and he/she will participate heavily in grant proposal development and writing, and the writing of scientific papers and reports. The position requires a demonstrated ability to work independently and professionally with minimal supervision. Applicants for this position will be experienced, results-oriented professionals who can skillfully create and maintain positive professional relationships.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in translation of Center's mission into a strategic research Program of interconnected projects and experiments
- Establish, follow and enforce SOPs
- Uphold timely, appropriate, and professional communication with PI (CIBS Director)
- Define problems, and troubleshoot, identify potential solutions
- Assist in preparation and publication of scientific manuscripts
- Read and understand the background literature and participate as an author on the papers that result from their work
- Maintain data integrity for CIBS wide projects
- Organize studies, samples generated from studies and data collected from studies using ELN systems
- Managing necropsy and tissue collection with a volunteer team of up to 10 people.
Skills & Abilities
of general cellular and molecular biology techniques, including:
and immunocytochemistry (IHC/ICC)
blot and qRT-PCR
organizational skills with an emphasis on detail.
written and verbal communication skills.
with performing data analysis.
- Follow up on sample distribution, coordinate with collaborators and vendors and the processing of samples.
degree in biological or biomedical discipline, preferably in neuroscience,
neurology, and/or immunology.
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience, including
2 years of managerial experience, or equivalent combination of education
and work experience.
experience, including transgenic animal models, rodent dissection and
* Master's degree in biological or biomedical discipline, preferably in neuroscience, neurology, and/or immunology.
* Published in prestigious peer-reviewed scientific journals.
* Flexible and adaptable thinking with ability to adjust to changing dynamics.
* 3 years of experience managing multidisciplinary and complex projects.
* Experience in both academic and biotech research.
* Experience in GLP techniques and data management.
* Experience working with extramural funding agencies, e.g. NIH, DOD, PCORI, and industry sponsors.
* Experience with 2-photon microscopy.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $53,946 - $75,896
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Research & Lab
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Laura deSteiguer | email@example.com | 520-626-3211
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.