The Senior Accountant is responsible for all Student Bursary activities which includes ensuring that all student billings, collections, financial aid accounting, student refunds and loan disbursements, reconciliations, and related functions are performed in an accurate, timely, and compliant manner. This position works collaboratively with the offices of financial aid and student services in providing students with exceptional customer service and ensuring student success.
This position will be responsible for overseeing day-to-day cash flow management, banking transactions and management of contract and service revenue. The Senior Accountant will develop and provide financial data analysis and performance reports to aid in the management and decision making of the organization. A strong focus on diversity, equity and inclusion, and a desire to advance Erikson’s mission of serving young children and their families, is essential for success in the role.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage the processing of student charges and payments, ensure financial aid is properly recorded in student accounts, issue student billing statements, analyze current student balances and complete annual 1098-T reporting.
- Review credit balance accounts and manage the student refund process to ensure timely processing in compliance with federal regulations.
- Analyze the Student Account Aging Report and implement collection efforts in accordance with Erikson’s collection policies.
- Focus upon and ensure that the organization’s bursary activities efforts are supportive of the organization’s DEI values and that there is a broad focus on engaging our many constituencies through this work.
- Process and reconcile Department of Education Title IV loan funds.
- Provide direct support to students regarding student account concerns and ensuring satisfactory resolution.
- Manage interface with student enrollment, financial aid and accounting system, including reconciling data and creating required journal entries.
- Prepare management analysis reports related to tuition revenue and financial aid.
- The Senior Accountant will adhere to all compliances with Erikson, Federal and State regulations, including Title IV aid and refunds, IRS 1098-T filings, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the FERPA rules and regulations.
- Manage the daily cash flow needs of the organization by reviewing banking and cash flow reports and processing any required bank transfers.
- Responsible for billing, recording and managing collections of contract and other services revenue.
- Review and reconcile pledge and donor activity generated by Raiser’s Edge system and work with institutional advancement department to ensure properly recorded.
- Utilizing financial modeling and database management provide departments with financial analysis and performance metrics.
- Interpret accounting data, prepare reconciliations, analyze reports, and recommend action to be taken.
- Responsible for design and implementation of business process improvement initiatives.
- Provides back-up for other functions in the Finance Department.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business required, masters or CPA preferred.
- 3 plus years experience in accounting and accounts receivable. Experience with higher educational or non-profit organization desirable.
- Strong knowledge of accounting and GAAP including an understanding of the accounting process from data entry to financial statements.
- Ability to work within strict time constraints and to manage multiple tasks at the same time.
- Exceptional project management skills (timeline, budget, procedure, reporting, evaluation).
- The ability to multi-task, provide effective follow-up with internal staff and external organizations, and meet deadlines with strong attention to detail.
- Must be a discreet, diplomatic individual who possesses the ability to work well with internal staff and outside vendors.
- A high level of proficiency in MS Office applications, particularly Excel, is required, with database knowledge and experience using Blackbaud's Financial Edge software and Jenzabar Student software a plus.
- Experience implementing financial systems and strong knowledge of software business application integration and data management tools.
Erikson is open to individual candidates from all backgrounds and experiences. Candidates should apply whether or not they feel that they meet all the requirements or qualifications for the position. We are looking forward to having exciting conversations with engaging candidates and will welcome your application.
We are the premier graduate school in childhood development committed to ensuring that all children have equitable opportunities to realize their potential.
Erikson Institute’s graduate degree programs uniquely prepare child development, education, and social work leaders to improve the lives of young children and their families. Our impact and influence are further amplified through our innovative academic programs, applied research, direct services in the community, and advocacy and policy and leadership.
Erikson Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other classes protected by federal, state, or local laws. In addition, Erikson Institute provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws (including during the application or hiring process).
To learn more, please visit our web site at www.erikson.edu