Director - Diversity Initiatives and Community Engagement
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at West Virginia University is seeking applications for the position of Director of Diversity Initiatives and Community Engagement.
About the Opportunity
As the Director of Diversity Initiatives and Community Engagement, you will lead the Division's efforts to create, coordinate, administer and evaluate programming to achieve a sustainable environment that will attract diverse and underserved faculty, staff and students as well as programming which provides an environment that is inclusive and supportive..
You will work collaboratively with a variety of constituents within the University, and assist the Division's Vice President, to develop and implement diversity programming efforts in alignment with strategic institutional goals that achieve and expand the vision of inclusive excellence, and support diversity and inclusion efforts on campus.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
- Create and promote programming designed to cultivate an appreciation of diverse ethnic and cultural heritages with the goal of forming a more inclusive campus environment.
- Design, deliver and implement workshops, presentations, and other strategies that promote diversity and inclusion.
- Lead efforts to formulate and update institutional policies related to diversity and inclusion.
- Conduct and direct diversity training in collaboration with other offices and departments including attraction and retention programming for staff and faculty.
- Lead the DICE program including supervising all DICE employees, assigned graduate assistants, assigned student workers, and volunteers.
- Develop and contribute to studies of institutional needs and trends in areas related to student, faculty, and staff diversity.
- Monitor national, legal, regulatory, political and intellectual trends in diversity in higher education, recommend application and/or impact for the University and remain current on best practices and emerging trends for inclusion and engagement, to inform program and policy development.
- Identify and develop grant relationships, including partnered opportunities, to further the mission of the division.
- Direct efforts to identify and produce special events including high-profile speakers, conferences, and other types of University programming.
- Lead event planning process, including pre-planning, budgeting, sponsorships, logistics, promotion, and media access, with the goal of producing exceptional and meaningful learning experiences for attendees and for featured guests.
- Work under the direction of the Vice President in the development and implementation of strategic plans, policies, proposals, programs, and operating procedures.
- Represent the DICE program, the DDEI and WVU at events which the Vice President cannot attend, both on campus and around the state of West Virginia.
- Provide consultative guidance for the DDEI senior leadership team on efforts related to DICE initiative and strategic planning processes.
- Work with WVU and external community to elevate the visibility and maximizes the impact of campus diversity efforts, activities, and programs.
- Build strong working relationships with senior administrators and representatives of key constituencies with the university and within the community.
- Serve as the primary conduit for information regarding diversity initiatives and programming managing both internal and external communications.
- Cultivate relationships with civil rights organizations, religious organizations, national associations, student organizations, other universities, nonprofits and other groups locally, within the state of West Virginia, and nationally for partnerships and information sharing purposes.
- Assist the Vice President with the drafting and press releases and messaging regarding diversity and inclusion issues
- Master's Degree (An equivalent combination of education and/or experience that provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the position duties and responsibilities may be considered in lieu of a degree.)
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience involving:
- collaboration with diverse groups and individuals.
- leadership in a complex organization.
- experience promoting diversity and inclusion in higher education or in similarly complex corporate or large non-profit organizations
- Ability to be a leader or possess leadership qualities such as: vision, pro-activeness, being a self-starter, positivity, assertiveness and creativity.
- Knowledge and understanding of diversity issues in general and within higher education.
- Effective public speaking skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to facilitate difficult dialogues, effectively listen to all points of view and ability to build consensus on initiatives and issues.
- Ability to travel to on-campus and off-campus events, including some events that involve working nights and weekends with short notice.
- Knowledge of grant cycles including relationship development, submissions, administration and report writing.
- Strong project management skills reflecting an ability to manage sifting priorities and handle numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines.
- Proven ability to fulfill the National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education's "Standards of Professional Practice for CDOs.
- J.D. or another related terminal degree is preferred
- Valid Driver's License
About WVUWhy WVU?
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Job Posting: Oct 11, 2021
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes