Database Developer / Data Engineer
Posting Number: req7222
Department: COM Info Technology Services
Location: UAHS - Tucson
Address: 1501 N. Campbell Avenue, Room 3204, , TUCSON, AZ 85724 USA
Position HighlightsThe University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson is seeking candidates for a Database Developer / Data Engineer position within the Information Technology Services Team (COM-ITS). It is the goal of COM ITS to be seen as a leader in technology at the University and amongst its peer institutions. This position plays a key role in achieving that vision. The Database Developer / Data Engineer will work within the Business Intelligence and Applications Development teams to facilitate database development and administration by providing underlying data and being responsible for the data structures and databases. This position will be primarily involved in developing data warehouse databases ensuring databases and data warehouse properties, which will be widely used in reporting and integration purposes. This position will also help in continuous efforts on enhancing reporting time, data integrity, database performance and providing increased functionality in applications.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Create database/ETL process, dimensional data modeling and reports as required. Participate in data warehouse work and provide subject matter expertise. Implement gathered knowledge in the COM data warehouse.
- Establish policies, standard, and procedures for securing, gaining access to, and using databases. Develops and maintains technical and non-technical documentation related to the job function.
- Develops and implements a variety of data management structures that enhance teaching, research, learning, and operations at the College of Medicine-Tucson. Work closely with application developers in the design of databases and suggests improvements to the overall performance of applications by optimizing queries. Generate conceptual/logical models, produce physical models and document the process.
- Work closely with the Business Analyst, Senior to translate reporting specifications to technical specifications that will be used to develop reports in the reporting tool. Participate in building innovative data visualizations and reports to help drive business intelligence and data driven culture at the College of Medicine-Tucson.
- Establish, implement, and maintain security, backup and data recovery policies, procedures and best practices and standards for on premises and cloud-based databases. Support the infrastructure team in their goal to migrate databases from on-premises to cloud solutions.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience is required.
*Master's degree in Computer Science, MIS. *Demonstrated experience delivering data models of complex data sets that are accurate and responsive. *Experience with Business Intelligence (conception, design, implementation, and support). *Experience with data warehouse (conception, design, implementation, and support). *Knowledge of higher education. *Demonstrated experience working with complex data in a relational database environment. *Strong interest and aptitude in data analysis. *Success in building and maintaining customer relationships at multiple levels. *Ability to work successfully in a team environment. *Strong service orientation towards users. *Strong work ethic and self-driven. *Excellent time management and prioritization skills; ability to manage multiple projects and priorities and meet negotiated timelines. *Excellent technical knowledge developing queries and reports from relational databases. *Demonstrated experience working with complex data in a relational database environment. *Resourcefulness, flexibility, responsiveness and attention to detail.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40+
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Planning and Analysis
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Planning & Analysis
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Jerie Schulz | firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.