Data Scientist - Clinical and Translational Science Institute
West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a Data Scientist in the Clinical and Translational Science Institute
About the Opportunity
As a Research Scientist, you will assist the WVCTSI Data Science group with analyzing data, modeling, and developing machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to various projects. While reporting to the Senior Data Scientist you will assist with data wrangling as well as being responsible for writing codes, interpreting and reporting results, and preparing journal manuscripts.
This position may require additional work hours depending on the priority and urgency of projects.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs.
- Hybrid work option available
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range of health insurance and various other benefits
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
- And More!!
What you'll do:
- Develop, evaluate, and deploy ML algorithms for different projects.
- Apply creative and strategic thinking to identify problems, solutions, and potential alternative approaches.
- Maintain expertise in SQL or other data extraction tools.
- Prepare reports and journal manuscript.
- Contribute to the design of research.
- Manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Works closely with clinicians, clinician scientists and researchers in order to map and support their operational needs.
- Collaborate with data scientists, system architects, software architects, design analysts, and others to understand business or industry requirements.
- Maintain security and confidentiality of patient information.
- Master's degree in machine learning, computer science, statistics, or other related field OR an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience with the following:
- Developing predictive models, ML and AI algorithms
- Data analytic programming and scripting
- ML models
- Big data query and cleansing
- Helping and writing research papers
- Python libraries including TensorFlow or PyTorch, or data science R packages
- Ph.D. preferred
- Published peer-reviewed research papers on related field
- Knowledge of image processing algorithms
- Letter of Interest
About Research Corporation
Why WVU Research Corporation?
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for startup companies based on University research.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 11, 2021
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes