Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) invites applications for a part-time, nine month (renewable) Math Specialist to join our Raider Center for Academic Success. Under the direction of the Coordinator of Tutoring Services, the Math Specialist’s role is to promote student academic success by providing students of all abilities, cultures and socio-economic levels opportunities to improve their math skills to include but not limited to Pre-Calc, Calc. 1, 2 and 3 while improving test taking, and note taking skills. This includes helping students as they develop critical thinking, master learning challenges, master math concepts, and grow an understanding of MSOE’s academic culture and expectations in accordance with MSOE’s established policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide professional tutoring and drop-in math assistance when appropriate
- Create a culture of inclusiveness, engagement and participation for all peer tutors and students to encourage the attainment of desired goals
- Develop and nurture relationships with all peer tutors, students and academic faculty in order to engage the university community in a student centered, data driven approach to student academic success
- Continuously seek ways to improve and redefine the math Drop-In and ISS sessions within the Raider Center for Academic Success to address the evolving and changing needs of the MSOE student population
- Expand and enhance the reach and impact of academic support services through cooperative, collaborative efforts with other RCAS team members, MSOE faculty and staff
- Incorporate the latest student development theory and best practices in math instruction with a student centered approach that is uniquely MSOE and that aligns with the stated university mission and goals
- Serve as a mentor/advisor to students in all aspects of their college life in order to ensure that each student has the opportunity to transition, grow and thrive within MSOE’s educational environment
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively engage peer tutors in a planning process to develop an annual plan of action to foster the attainment of department goals and objectives
- Work in conjunction with Student Advancement Committee, Counseling Services and Academic Departments to build and encourage strategic relationships to offer academic support to students that may be academically at-risk
- Create resources for tutors, students, and faculty
- Be able and willing to develop a thorough understanding of all MSOE academic programs
- Have an understanding and appreciation of the overall functions of the university
- Actively develop an inclusive, cooperative, collaborative environment that encourages and embraces diversity and learning
- Treat everyone (students, staff, faculty) with respect and openness
- Work collaboratively with other department staff and faculty
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Master’s Degree preferred in a related field
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 1-3 years of Teaching and/or Tutoring Experience
- Demonstrated experience in serving in a leadership role and influencing others to achieve a common goal
- Goal oriented and student centered
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before others. Ability to effectively communicate in both written and oral form.
- Knowledge and skills in learning theory, critical thinking theory, and Pre-Calc., Calc. I, II and III
- Able to handle several complex tasks simultaneously
- An appreciation for higher education and the university community
- An understanding of the importance of leadership
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is largely sedentary, the ability to move is required. The employee is occasionally required to traverse within their work area as well as other areas on campus.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role uses standard office equipment, including but not limited to computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.