Assistant Professor - Advertising
Location: Syracuse, NY
Pay Range: Commensurate with Experience
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: As determined by the Department Chair
Campus: Syracuse, NY
Unionized Position Code: Not Applicable
Job DescriptionThe Advertising Department in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University seeks applicants in the area of advertising strategy for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position with an August 22, 2022 start date. Specifically, the candidate must be able to share expertise with our students and to expand our strengths in two or more of the following areas:
- The evolution of data strategy and communication trends to employ successful strategies for brands, including, but not limited to expertise in data analytics and social media listening platforms used to collect intelligence on consumers and competitors.
- Digital strategies and appropriate messaging grounded in consumer journeys and data-driven insights, across paid, earned, and owned channels that create the synergy of online and offline communications in reaching the target audience effectively.
- Ethical issues and social economic impact of big data and artificial intelligence concerning data management, governance, sharing, use, biases, and moral values.
- Storytelling capabilities with dynamics of key elements in data, visuals, and narrative to transforming business problems to human solutions.
- Note: It is not required that candidates have advanced data and statistical analysis expertise (though candidates with this expertise are still encouraged to apply). Instead, we are primarily looking for a strategy expert who is highly data competent (i.e., using data on a daily basis to inform strategy and insights). Applicants with job experience in advertising/marketing strategy, account planning, or communications planning, etc. would be excellent candidates.
The successful candidate will need to show potential for conducting academic scholarship or industry-related creative activity/research that will position the hire as a recognized expert in the field. Participation in service and committee work for the department, the Newhouse School, and Syracuse University is expected.
QualificationsA master's degree is required.
Job Specific QualificationsCandidates with advertising industry management/strategy experience are especially encouraged to apply. Passion and deeper connections to consumer research and analytics are desirable.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the potential to engage ambitious undergraduate and graduate students in one of the preeminent advertising programs in the country. Courses that the hire might teach include Digital Branding and Strategy, Strategic Media Planning, Advertising Research and Planning, Advertising Campaigns, and other courses that complement the individual's expertise or specialization.
Responsibilities* Teach courses at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
* Engage in a research/creative agenda that brings national visibility to the School.
* Contribute to service-related initiatives, including academic and career advising of students, school and university committee service, curriculum development and assessment, and community/professional outreach.
In addition, the successful candidate will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service, and will be prepared to work with students, faculty, and staff from a wide range of social and cultural backgrounds. They will help advance Syracuse University's mission of preparing engaged citizens, scholars, and leaders for participation in a changing global society - more about Syracuse's Vision and Mission can be found at https://www.syracuse.edu/about/vision-mission/.
Physical RequirementsNot Applicable
Application InstructionsWidely regarded as the nation's leading school of communications, the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University is home to approximately 2,000 undergraduates, 200 residential master's degree students, 200 online master's degree students and 15 doctoral degree students. They are among the best in the country, having secured a place in the class through a highly competitive admissions process. The typical admitted first-year student has a 3.8 GPA and an SAT score in the 1300s
The school's 250,000-square-foot, three-building complex is a leading-edge learning environment where students are exposed to the tools and technologies used by professionals in the field. Features include Dick Clark Studios, a high-tech entertainment production facility that rivals many Hollywood studios; the Diane and Bob Miron Digital News Center, complete with a contemporary news set, a green screen, state-of-the-art lighting systems and cameras; the Alan Gerry Center for Media Innovation, a creative hub where Newhouse expertise in content development and production meets the latest media technology and programming trends; the Emerging Insights Lab, a state-of-the-art social media command center; and the Collaborative Media Room, home to the student-produced multimedia news site, The NewsHouse.
In January 2020, the S.I. Newhouse Foundation announced a $75 million gift to the Newhouse School, the largest donation to Syracuse University in its 150-year history and one of the largest ever to any communications school.
To learn more about the Newhouse School, visit https://newhouse.syr.edu.
ABOUT THE ADVERTISING DEPARTMENT
The Department's student advertising agency teams (called "The Newhouse" or TNH for short) have historically done very well competing nationally. TNH teams have won seven 1st place finishes at the District 2 level of the American Advertising Federation's (AAF) National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC) in the past 11 years, and won the national title of the NSAC competition in 2009 and 2018. (See info @ https://bit.ly/2zFyVgx ). On the international front, TNH students won the International Qatar 2014 Advertising Competition.
Our creative young talents have recently won prominent awards including Cannes Future Lions, One Show Young Ones, Gold Clio, Art Directors Club (ADC) Annual Awards, National Addy Awards, New York Festivals Advertising Awards, Communication Arts Advertising Annual, Creativity International Awards and raked up the total of more than 600 creative awards in the past four years. (See info @ https://bit.ly/2umDK9p ).
The Department has built a close relationship with outstanding alumni across the country and top ad agencies that routinely recruit Newhouse advertising students. The Eric Mower Advertising Forum ( https://bit.ly/2VBncYM) is the finest advertising speaker series in the world featuring an impressive array of distinguished leaders, including top ad agency CEOs and internationally known guest speakers.
To learn more about the School, our distinguished faculty, and our program, please visit our websites at https://bit.ly/2I8jxhQ.
For full description and online application instructions, please go to our online employment site www.sujobopps.com
- Enter Job #076012
- Hit "Search"
- Hit "View Details"
1. Teaching - The Newhouse School prides itself on the high quality of education it provides and its ability to get students job-ready Day One. Please describe your teaching interests and philosophy of how students best learn.
2. Diversity and Inclusion - Please describe how your past experience has prepared you to contribute to the School's and the University's strategic commitments to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in higher education.
3. Research/Creative Activity - The Newhouse School values both scholarly research and creative activity. Scholarship can include peer-reviewed journal articles, grant procurement, conference presentations and book development. Creative activity can include, as examples, industry trade or consumer media/news articles, and media production, development or multimedia storytelling (photo/video, film, sound, web design, apps, scriptwriting). Please describe how your experience will help you contribute to the University and School's commitment to research and creative initiatives.
In addition to the cover letter, applications should include :
- resume/vitae, and
- list of four academic or professional references with contact name, title, address, and email/phone information.
The Newhouse School encourages candidates to apply who will help us broaden the diversity of our faculty. Syracuse University is an Affirmative Action/Employment Opportunity Employer and has a long history of engaging veterans and the military- connected community through its educational programs, community outreach, and employment program.
About Syracuse UniversitySyracuse University is a private, international research university with distinctive academics, diversely unique offerings and an undeniable spirit. Located in the geographic heart of New York State, with a global footprint, and nearly 150 years of history, Syracuse University offers a quintessential college experience.
The scope of Syracuse University is a testament to its strengths: a pioneering history dating back to 1870; a choice of more than 200 majors and 100 minors offered through 13 schools and colleges; nearly 15,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students; more than a quarter of a million alumni in 160 countries; and a student population from all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries. For more information, please visit www.syracuse.edu.
About the Syracuse areaSyracuse is a medium-sized city situated in the geographic center of New York State approximately 250 miles northwest of New York City. The metro-area population totals approximately 500,000. The area offers a low cost of living and provides many social, cultural, and recreational options, including parks, museums, festivals, professional regional theater, and premier shopping venues. Syracuse and Central New York present a wide range of seasonal recreation and attractions ranging from water skiing and snow skiing, hiking in the Adirondacks, touring the historic sites, visiting wineries along the Finger Lakes, and biking on trails along the Erie Canal.
EEOCSyracuse University is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution. The University prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national origin, citizenship, ethnicity, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law to the extent prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination policy covers admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University programs, services, and activities.
Commitment to Supporting and Hiring VeteransSyracuse University has a long history of engaging veterans and the military-connected community through its educational programs, community outreach, and employment programs. After World War II, Syracuse University welcomed more than 10,000 returning veterans to our campus, and those veterans literally transformed Syracuse University into the national research institution it is today. The University's contemporary commitment to veterans builds on this historical legacy, and extends to both class-leading initiatives focused on making an SU degree accessible and affordable to the post-9/11 generation of veterans, and also programs designed to position Syracuse University as the employer of choice for military veterans, members of the Guard and Reserve, and military family members.
Commitment to a Diverse and Inclusive Campus CommunitySyracuse University maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview. The University community recognizes and values the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. At Syracuse, we are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. To do so, we commit ourselves to promoting a community that celebrates and models the principles of diversity and inclusivity.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Priority Consideration: 11/15/2021
Job Category: Faculty