Instructional Technology Consultant
Faculty Rank: No
Provide Rank: N/A
Position Number: 082841
Department: Learning Technology Services - 205300
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.Minimum Qualifications
- Master's degree in instructional design, educational technology, or related field, or bachelor's degree and work experience equivalent to an advanced degree.
- Must have a demonstrated knowledge of instructional design and instructional technologies required to develop online/blended materials.
- Knowledge of and experience in using learning management systems for instruction.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to work with all constituents in a courteous and helpful manner.
- Must be detail-oriented, have excellent time management and organizational skills, and be able to effectively lead and execute projects and initiatives.
- Must be able to work both independently and be a team player.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Instructional Technology Consultants are the primary faculty contacts for instructional design and for support and training in the use of Appalachian's learning management system and other instructional technologies for digital learning. This position will support faculty, and indirectly for students, who use these services.
Duties and responsibilities of the position include:
- Consult with faculty on educational technology, course design, and solving teaching challenges with technology.
- Ongoing Moodle support.
- Provide expertise, consult, train and support faculty and staff in the application of instructional technologies, such as the university's LMS (Moodle), collaboration software, multimedia tools, presentation tools, and other instructional tools.
- Coordinate/conduct professional development.
- Support the development and creation of accessible online learning experiences.
- Support and develop professional development for those interested in online teaching, hybrid teaching and effectively using instructional technologies in their courses.
- Support and consult with faculty, both pedagogically and practically, in the development and successful delivery of quality online and blended courses.
- Serve as a liaison for departments/colleges- coordinate with Chairs, programs, etc.
- Support Online Course Development/Quality Matters.
- Stay current with existing and emerging instructional technologies trends.
- Create and update documentation and Knowledge Base articles.
- Develop and disseminate accessible materials, documentation, modules, training, workshops, and resources related to campus technologies and the effective use of instructional technologies.
- Collaborate with CAE colleagues on and assist with the management of projects.
- Lead projects that support the core mission of Learning Technology Services and the CAE.
- Other duties as assigned.
Appointment Type: 1.0
Mon - Fri, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, other hours dependent on volume of work and during any special events.
Number of Hours Per Week: 40
Number of Months Per Year: 12
Mandatory Staff: Yes
Suggested Salary Range: Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of a professional position within a university.
Posting Date: 10/07/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Evaluation of Applications Begins
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach required documents:
Cover Letter and Resume.
List a minimum of 3 professional references in the application or attach a List of References with Contact Information
Search Chair Name
Search Chair Email
Disability Accommodation Information
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey, Director & ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Director of Human Resources/ EEO Officer
Director of Title IX Compliance/Title IX Coordinator
ADA/504 Coordinator & Office of Disability Resources Director
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.Background Check Statement
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.Eligibility for Employment
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.Quick Link