Communications Specialist - Information Technology Services
Information Technology Servicesat West Virginia University is looking for a Communications Specialist to join our remote team and serve as an important voice and source of information for faculty, staff and students. Creating a bridge between the technicians who develop, administer and support technology and the people who use it, you will anticipate needs and questions about ITS systems and services, and maintain a customer-focused mindset when drafting messages.
We provide training to get you started, consistent feedback and conversation, access to a robust Knowledge Base and Service Management tool, and a network of supportive colleagues ready to provide guidance. You will work independently and take ownership of tasks/projects but collaborate daily and closely with your teammates and supervisor. The ability to develop professional relationships in a remote/hybrid work environment will be essential.
ITS is a critical partner in a modernization initiative that will lead to exciting, transformational changes over the next decade. The friendly, fast-paced and dynamic work environment provides exposure to a diverse range of issues and opportunities while delivering daily on the University's core values, including curiosity and service. ITS values and supports work-life balance and flexibility and is committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment.
We offer generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year, and the flexibility to use that time to care for immediate family members
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match
- Wellness programs
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Meet the daily operational messaging needs of ITS, from service changes or disruptions to cybersecurity awareness, using multiple platforms. Manage social media and look for ways to improve engagement.
- Develop comprehensive communication plans for projects and initiatives, including FAQs, stakeholder talking points, knowledge articles and ideas for encouraging change adoption.
- Collaborate with technical teams to test new services to understand and be able to effectively explain any changes in user experience.
- Represent the interests of customers to internal project and operational teams, using your expertise to provide recommendations and alternatives.
- Create informational and promotional materials, both physical and digital, for campus initiatives and outreach events. Identify opportunities to promote ITS-supported products and tools.
- Support a variety of strategic communications on behalf of the department, including the creation and delivery of presentations for the ITS executive team.
- Seek and embrace opportunities to enhance existing skill sets.
- Clearly, accurately and quickly share information that could affect other IT teams, IT processes or customers using designated ITS channels.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in one of the following: strategic communications; journalism; professional writing and editing; marketing; computer science; or a field related to one of those areas.
- Two (2) years of experience writing and editing in a collaborative, professional environment, and developing informational, promotional or instructional materials, whether digital or printed.
- Ability to synthesize complex information and translate technical concepts into language that is comprehensible, clear and concise for non-technical users
- Ability to think creatively and critically, and to solve problems.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office product suite, Google Workspace and Adobe Creative Cloud software (ex: Illustrator, InDesign).
- Interest in User Experience (UX), or how people interact with and experience technology, including accessibility issues.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt easily to frequent changes in priorities and circumstances. Willingness to work occasional evenings or weekends as emergencies require.
- Demonstrated ability to act with urgency when required, to manage competing demands and tasks effectively, and to meet deadlines.
- Accuracy and attention to detail are critical.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to spot problems and identify solutions, and to participate in meetings, listen carefully and get clarification on assignments as needed.
- Letter of Interest
- 3-5 writing samples
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 7, 2021
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes