Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for a full-time employee to serve as the Accountant/Bursar working in the Comptroller's Office, reporting to the Comptroller. The successful candidate will be responsible for planning, developing, managing, and administering programs that support the billing and collection of university revenue and day-to-day operations of Cadet Accounting. The Accountant/Bursar will review and implement processes based on federal, state, and Institute regulations and policies impacting Cadet Accounting. The Accountant/Bursar will work collaboratively with the offices of Financial Aid, Registrar, and Admissions.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Supervise the Assistant Bursar and the Cashier to include training, counseling, assigning work, and developing and/or updating Employee Work Profiles and evaluations
- Responsible for working with other departments across Post to accurately track and report receivables, including preparing entries for the Annual Financial Statements.
- Work collaboratively with the Financial Reporting Accountant in preparing the monthly Cardinal Revenue Reconciliation and assisting with the monthly Bank Reconciliation as needed
- Plan and coordinate all operational processes within the office by establishing a calendar of critical dates to ensure that critical operations are completed promptly
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal standards related to account and student privacy, such as FERPA, GLBA, and PCI
- Responsible for accurate annual federal 1098-T processing and generating accurate student bills
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's or Associates Degree
- Experience in higher education or accounting
- Progressive supervisory experience
- Exceptional interpersonal abilities with a strong team orientation and communication skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with other departments to achieve positive results
- Excellent time management and organizational ability
- Ability to multitask and meet constant deadlines
- Experience in Federal/State government and/or fund accounting
- Knowledge of Federal/State regulations and application to daily operations
- Experience with Ellucian Colleague
Candidates, please apply online at: https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/246046
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three professional references, along with your application. Salary based on qualifications and experience. On-line applications accepted until the position is filled.
Criminal background check required for successful candidate. All employees hired at VMI are required to complete a COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form per Governor Northam’s Executive Directive #18. The Human Resources will provide the form to new employee.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.