Computer Engineer - International Pulsar Timing Array, Department of Physics and Astronomy (ECAS)
The Department of Physics and Astronomy in the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences (ECAS) at West Virginia University, with the WVU Research Corporation is seeking applications for an International Pulsar Timing Array (IPTA) Computer Engineer. The IPTA Computer Engineer will be primarily responsible for developing and maintaining cyber-infrastructure to: manage heterogenous astronomy data from multiple observatories; reproducibly process data in a variety of ways, including with Jupyter Notebooks; package pipelines for instantiation on a variety of computing resources, including with Docker and Singularity containers; and manage IPTA communications. The successful candidate will work with the IPTA project manager and participate in the IPTA cyberinfrastructure, analysis and Education and Public Outreach working groups, in addition to working directly with the cyberinfrastructure experts in each constituent Pulsar Timing Array.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Developing and maintaining cyber-infrastructure to:
- 70% Manage heterogenous astronomy data from multiple observatories
- Reproducibly process data in a variety of ways, including with Jupyter Notebooks
- Package pipelines for instantiation on a variety of computing resources, including with Docker and Singularity
- Manage IPTA communications
- 10% Working directly with the IPTA project manager
- 15% Working directly with the cyberinfrastructure experts in each constituent Pulsar Timing Array.
- 5% Attending IPTA telecons for cyberinfrastructure, analysis and Education and Public Outreach working groups and IPTA meetings
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, astronomy, physics, or related fields
- At least three (3) years of experience in cyber-infrastructure management
- Cyber-infrastructure management
- Experience in data management and analysis of large datasets
- Familiarity with astrophysics research
- Familiarity with IPTA research and radio pulsar data and analyses
- Familiarity with cyber-infrastructure development for research and educational purposes
- Experience in science outreach and education
- Demonstrated skills in verbal and written communication
- Willingness and ability to attend telecons outside of normal working hours
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally to IPTA meetings and workshops
- Applicants that apply mustsubmit acurriculum vitae, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) references as part of the application process.
About Research Corporation
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 7, 2021
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes