Project Manager - International Pulsar Timing Array, Department of Physics and Astronomy (ECAS)
The Department of Physics and Astronomy in the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences (ECAS) at West Virginia University, with the WVU Research Corporation is seeking applications for an International Pulsar Timing Array (IPTA) Project Manager. The Project Manager will coordinate IPTA activities, resources, and communications. Tasks include coordinating dataset combination and gravitational wave analyses, overseeing the development of cyber-infrastructure for data sharing and processing, managing working group tasks and timelines, determining resources needed for critical tasks, organizing meetings and telecons, and assisting with reporting for the AccelNet award. The tasks and timelines will be established by the project manager in coordination with the IPTA Steering Committee (IPTASC). The IPTA project manager will attend all IPTASC telecons, and will report to both the IPTASC and McLaughlin (as PI of the award).
Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinating IPTA activities, resources, and communications, including:
- 25% Coordinating dataset combination and gravitational wave analyses
- 10% Overseeing the development of cyber-infrastructure for data sharing and processing
- 25% Managing working group tasks and timelines
- 15% Determining resources needed for critical tasks
- 5% Organizing meetings and telecons
- 5% Assisting with reporting to funding agencies
- 10% Attending IPTASC and IPTA working group telecons and IPTA meetings
- 5% Maintaining records and documentation
- Master's degree in astronomy, physics, project management, or related fields
- At least three (3) years of experience in management of research project management, including funding and personnel allocation and timelines.
- At least three (3) years of experience working with partners in multiple countries.
- Management of research projects, including funding and personnel allocation and timelines
- Familiarity with astrophysics research
- Experience in data management and analysis of large datasets
- Familiarity with IPTA research and radio pulsar data and analyses
- Familiarity with cyber-infrastructure development for research and educational purposes
- Experience in science outreach and education
- Demonstrated skills in verbal and written communication, organization, and consensus-driven decision making
- Willingness and ability to attend telecons outside of normal working hours
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally to IPTA meetings and workshops
About Research Corporation
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 7, 2021
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes