Director, Diversity Equity and Inclusion
Overall Job Responsibilities
Provide leadership and deep expertise for the organization and delivery of diversity, equity and inclusion educational engagements for Duke University and Health System. Develop educational opportunities in diversity, equity and inclusion topics with a lens toward learning in health and university environments. Provide training and learning experiences in a wide and deep variety of topics related to cross-cultural and international education. Assist the Assistant Vice President in strategic planning for enterprise-wide diversity, equity and inclusion education planning and provide specified support for leadership across the institution in engaging their departments in DEI education and development. Provide specified support for managers and supervisors in strategic interventions when needed in collaboration with informal resolution processes.
I. DEI Educational Program Coordination:
- Manage an overall organization of enterprise-wide educational engagement for faculty, staff and students with respect to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Work with leaders to design appropriate strategies to create, support, encourage and reinforce equity in specific work areas and departments across the University and Health System
- Work with leaders to support efforts to retain students, faculty and staff with historically (underrepresented backgrounds and identities.
- Develop a deep and wide variety of diversity, equity and inclusion educational opportunities.
- Deliver cross-cultural, diversity, equity and inclusion educational opportunities.
- Advise leaders and human resources staff about cross-cultural and international communication issues and concerns that affect work performance and morale.
- Assist in the strategic planning of educational outreach and design of educational initiatives for faculty and staff across the enterprise consistent with the Institutional Diversity plan.
II. Alternative Resolution Support:
- Assist in the planning for informal resolution policies and practices
- Provide coaching for leaders relative to the management of cross-cultural and international issues and initiatives.
- Education/Training: A Master's Degree in higher education, sociology, social work, psychology or other related field is required. A Ph.D. is preferred
- Work requires a minimum of 5 years of experience with progressive responsibility diversity, equity and inclusion education, training and development.
- Experience designing and implementing DEI initiatives in higher education or a complex institution.
- Minimum 5 years experience with program and outcome assessment and evaluation.
- Progressively responsible advocacy and assessment of DEI efforts preferred.
- Significant knowledge and experience serving and supporting minority interests.
- Demonstrated ability and/or experience in many of the following areas required: diversity and cross-cultural education, organizational change frameworks and planning, group facilitation, adult-learning frameworks and development, leadership coaching, conflict management, curriculum design, interpersonal/organizational cross-cultural communication, staff professional development.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Outstanding listening, collaboration and team-building skills that facilitate coordination and cooperation.
- Ability to lead with both courage and humility.
- Ability to establish rapport and work cooperatively with various levels of faculty, staff and students,
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to be resilient, flexible and creative in approaching complex group dynamics
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.