Development Officer / Senior Development Officer
About the Role:
Do you enjoy connecting with people to advance a common cause? Join our team as a development officer at St. Olaf College! We are looking for a strong communicator who is curious and comfortable asking people to support St. Olaf financially with substantial gifts. Part detective, part match-maker, and part story-teller, you will engage donors in aligning their philanthropic interests with strategic priorities of the college. Our development office is a professional team strongly oriented towards collaboration, goals, learning, and mission. We look forward to receiving your application.
What You'll Do:
- Guide individual donors through major and planned giving from qualification and cultivation through solicitation and stewardship
- Cultivate and sustain long-term relationships with prospective and current donors in Minnesota and across the country through in-person and virtual meetings and events
- Collaborate with campus leaders to identify impactful engagement and funding opportunities
- Embrace professional practices in giving supported by opportunities for professional development
- Be part of a high-performing team in a flexible work environment within the Advancement Division committed to engagement and fundraising
Who You Are:
The qualified candidate will have:
- A Bachelor's degree, 3+ years of related experience and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel 35% of the time, locally and nationally, including 6-10 overnight trips per year
- A valid driver's license and meet St. Olaf College driver authorization criteria with a satisfactory driving record
It will be helpful if you have:
- A Bachelor's degree from, or experience working in, a liberal arts college and experience with proposals and solicitations
You might be a great match if:
- You can comfortably manage emerging, multiple priorities
- You enjoy meeting with people and having direct, strategic conversations that advance common interests
- You excel working independently and like collaborating with colleagues
- You are committed to being part of an equitable and inclusive college community
- You believe in the benefits of a liberal arts education
Who We Are:
At St. Olaf College we are dedicated to creating an inclusive and globally engaged community. We believe in fostering different identities, beliefs, and traditions because our differences make us stronger. St. Olaf strives to promote cultural diversity and multicultural understanding and create a campus where individuals of all backgrounds feel accepted and supported. We encourage applications from candidates committed to the enrichment of our diverse community.
One of the nation's leading liberal arts colleges, St. Olaf serves 3,000 students, ranks #1 among U.S. colleges for the number of students studying abroad, and celebrates carbon-free electrical power. Its mission is to challenge students to excel in the liberal arts, examine faith and values, and explore meaningful vocation in an inclusive, globally engaged community nourished by Lutheran tradition. The college is located on a picturesque 300-acre campus in Northfield, Minnesota, a vibrant, restored, historic river town of 20,000 located 45 minutes south of the Twin Cities.
St. Olaf College offers a comprehensive benefits package including a 9% company retirement match, company monthly contributions to a retirement healthcare account, company contributions to eligible employee's health savings account, significant tuition discount (up to 80% off) at ACM and ELCA colleges and universities for employee's children, and generous paid time off. For a full review of benefit offerings, see the summary of the benefits program here: https://wp.stolaf.edu/hr/benefits/
A summary of the flexible work policy: https://wp.stolaf.edu/hr/flexible-work-policy/
A virtual campus tour: https://www.stolaf.edu/multimedia/play/?p=483
An overview of Northfield: https://wp.stolaf.edu/admissions/visit/northfield/
An overview of the Twin Cities: https://wp.stolaf.edu/admissions/visit/twincities/
St. Olaf College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).