Administrative Assistant - Department of Political Science (ECAS)
The Department of Political Science in the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences at West Virginia Universityis seeking applications for an Administrative Assistant. This position provides high-level administrative support to a complex science unit, reporting directly to the Chair. The major focus for this position is on the business and personnel needs of the department, including fiscal management of State, Research Corporation, and Foundation funding, providing Executive Assistance to the Department Chair, coordinating office workflow, supervising clerical staff and work-study students, and payroll.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Manage all of the Department of Political Science financial accounts including State, Foundation, Noncentral, and Research. Liaison with Dean's Office, Business Office, WVU Foundation, and Academic Affairs and Research to respond to requests regarding financial matters and resolves departmental budgetary problems.
- Assists faculty in assessing, monitoring, spending, and budget control of complex external and internal revenue accounts. Assist principal investigators in research grant fund reporting by providing routine procedural and budgetary information. Assist new faculty with budgeting, managing, and tracking research startup funds. Manage the Effort Reporting process to obtain faculty signatures.
- Complete appropriate payroll forms for new employees including graduate assistants and submit to the Office of the Dean. Advise chair, faculty and staff on payroll procedures and timelines. Assist faculty in preparing payroll requests and submit requests to the appropriate office.
- Develop the academic course schedule for each semester. This complex process requires understanding of curriculum to develop the class schedule. Requires tracking enrollment with knowledge of instructor's specialties and consideration of revenue, particularly in relationship to Extended Learning curriculum. In developing the schedule, corresponds with all instructors gathering information, solving conflicts and submits information to the Chair for final approval.
- Oversee the daily operations of the department's main business office. Monitor internal procedures to ensure that all fiscal and administrative policies are consistent with institutional, state, and federal guidelines. Coordinate workflow of the department to ensure clear communication of appropriate tasks for staff member and students.
- Assist international faculty and graduate assistants in terms of INS rules and requirements for employment. Process and continuously update all correspondence such as memos, offer letters, and Visa related documents. Prepare and submit tuition waiver and meritorious tuition waiver requests for faculty, staff, and students
- WVU-related work activities of the Department Chair. Screen visitors and phone calls, and schedule meetings and appointments in consultation with the Chair. Compose routine and complex documents, including confidential correspondences, requiring knowledge of programs, procedures, and practices for the chair's signature.
- Directly supervise one full-time employee and student workers. Develop and maintain an accurate job description for the employee. Responsible for hiring, professional development, firing/disciplinary actions, and performance reviews of all office personnel, including student worker positions.
- Identifies and processes surplus items that are no longer needed by the department. Processes electronic key requests and oversees physical key distributions. Coordinates department work orders regarding building repairs and maintenance.
- Organize all departmental graduation planning activities (obtaining perspective graduate mailing lists, sending notifications and invitations to families as well as students, arranging catering, arrangements for venue, printing of program, obtaining departmental graduation gift given to students).
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent knowledge and experience
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in the following:
- Budget development/management
- Administrative office experience
- Grants administration (preferred)
- Supervisory (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage budgets
- Demonstrated knowledge of payroll and budget regulations and policies which govern them
- Demonstrated ability to manage an office
- Ability to understand external grant administration
- Demonstrated ability to utilize basic business office software such as the Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to learn University policies and procedures
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 7, 2021
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes