Dean of Learning Innovation
Title: Dean of Learning Innovation
Position Type: Full time
Requisition No: 22006
Supervisor: Vice President of Learning and Instruction
Last Updated: August 2021
Job Purpose: Learning Innovation for Calbright program pathways
Location: Remote, various locations throughout California
Under the supervision of the Vice President of Learning and Instruction, the Dean of Learning Innovation is a key educational leader at Calbright College. This individual is responsible for advancing the College’s mission of offering competency-based programs to support adult learner labor market transitions through andrological practice in online skills-based curriculum and instruction. This position lives at the exciting intersection of learning design, competency assessment, learning media, learning innovation, and equitable student success and services, and promotes their effective integration into teaching and learning. The Dean of Learning Innovation provides strategic leadership through direct supervision and professional development support for faculty and staff to deliver high-quality, technology-enabled programs and services that promote stronger student outcomes through approaches such as data use, collaboration, and equity and inclusion.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
The duties below are representative of the role and are not intended to cover all of the duties performed within the scope of work.
The Dean of Learning Innovation will work collaboratively to establish and implement a vision for how to best grow and develop competency-based education at Calbright College. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Collaborate and partner with cross-functional teams including, but not limited to, learning and instruction, student services and success, workforce strategy and innovation, technology, and other key stakeholders on the development and launch of new programs.
- Apply learning theories and knowledge of learning technologies and environments to the design of high-quality workplace-relevant learning experiences and assessments across varied delivery modalities.
- Design and develop competency-based education programs that provide efficiency, flexibility, personalization, achievement of goals, and align with industry standards.
- Review, analyze, and evaluate assess programs, policies, operational needs, program development, and administration of existing and future college programs. Recommend programming enhancements to the VP of Learning and Instruction and implement enhancements.
- Provide leadership and professional development in technology-enhanced and competency-based learning to faculty and staff, with special attention to new and emerging trends.
- Assume a leadership role in monitoring and making data-driven decisions about high-quality instruction and facilitation of flexibly-paced online learning environments.
- Ensure that programs developed maximize broad access for underserved adult learners, industry relevance, learning, and financial sustainability.
- Demonstrate a commitment to and experience working to further cultural competency in an organization and create a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace
- Engage in the planning, development, and implementation of partnerships with other institutions of higher education, including California Community Colleges, to increase advancement opportunities for Calbright students.
- Balance multiple competing priorities in developing integrated short and long-term plans for optimal use of college resources.
- Develop and recommend to the VP of Learning and Instruction the instructional budget for new programs.
- Assist the Vice President in the development of staffing priorities for assigned areas and build collaborative teams that enhance a college culture that promotes team and student success in a remote setting.
- While representing instruction, provide leadership and support to key college-wide committees and task forces as appropriate.
- Recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Interpret and apply pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations including the California Education Code requirements and federal requirements.
- Perform other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Entrepreneurial mindset and capable of leveraging extensive knowledge of learning theory and competency-based education practices to adapt quickly to emerging trends in competency-based education opportunities, innovations, and trends.
- Current extensive knowledge of learning theory and competency-based education quality frameworks.
- Skilled in problem-solving, creative thinking, adaptability, and ability to interpret and use data to inform decision-making.
- Expertise with organizational and management practices and processes including advanced skills in planning, organizing, budgeting, and self-management.
- Knowledge of and ability to read, interpret, apply, and explain laws, guidelines, and State and Federal regulations regarding instruction and student supports.
- Experience with practices of employee supervision, training, evaluation principles, recognition, and progressive discipline.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse faculty, staff, and administration across the college to meet the needs of students in an online environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead through influence across complex organizational structures.
- Commitment to transparency and dialog with college constituents.
- Excellent written, oral, presentation, interpersonal skills and a history of positive results related to areas such as student and employee-facing communications, learning materials, presentations, and training.
- Experience maintaining accurate records and reports
- Proficiency in technology-driven document and collaboration tools, including but not limited to Google Suite, Slack, Salesforce, Asana, web conferencing, and cloud-based tools.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, staff, and faculty; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited institution OR equivalent.
- Five or more years of increasingly responsible leadership and supervision that includes oversight of multiple functions, strategic planning, budget development, personnel management, team building, and program development.
- Experience developing or leading online programs with a commitment to learning excellence and innovation.
- Expertise in competency-based learning and assessment.
- Background in learner experience design.
- Experience in online and adult learning theories and technologies.
Working Conditions and Travel
- Calbright College is a statewide online college where all instruction and support are done via various online technologies both in person and remotely. Calbright College has administrative offices in Sacramento available for use. When working remotely, employees should be able and willing to use digital communication tools as used by the College and have the ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time.
- Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.
- The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Calbright College policies, procedures, and Title IX.
- Calbright College celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing Calbright College’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
- Requires the ability to function in a remote online instructional environment performing work of primarily a sedentary nature. Requires the ability to use hearing and speech to make presentations to groups and carry on conversations over the phone and in person. Requires speaking skills to communicate with staff and students in one-on-one and small group settings, on the phone, and to distinguish sound prompts from various types of equipment. Requires near visual acuity to read printed materials and computer screens. Requires sufficient hand/arm/finger dexterity to retrieve work materials, operate a personal computer keyboard, and operate standard office equipment. Requires the ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.
Who We Are
Calbright College is one of California’s newest community colleges – the first statewide, online campus designed to bridge the gap between employers with unfilled positions and students who don’t have either the time or money to attend a traditional school. Our mission is to increase economic mobility and close equity gaps for working adults who lack easy access to traditional forms of higher education by offering online, flexible, affordable skills-based programs that provide tangible economic value for both working adults and hiring managers.