Online Esports Coordinator and Full Time Faculty - Assistant Professor
Synopsis of Role:
Full-time faculty members are first and foremost teachers and play a key role within a school as course leads. They are united by the common goal of inspiring academic excellence in students with a broad range of interests and experiences. They are key to creating a rewarding online learning experience for students by engaging them, challenging them, and supporting them. They provide the resources for a quality learning experience for students by ensuring coherence in the discipline, rigor in the content, and relevance and currency to the practice. Full-time faculty members/course leads contribute to a range of activities that support student learning outcomes, program quality, and discipline integrity, all of which focus on student learning and retention.
In addition, this individual will be responsible for coordination of Esports related activities and initiatives. The individual will develop new courses and maintain course quality for all courses in the Esports academic degree and serve as coordinator and sponsor of the Esports Club. The Esports coordinator will be responsible for the establishment of Esports competitive teams for the institution along with organizing and managing Esports related co-curricular events.
Academic Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Responsible for course curriculum quality to include:
- Teaching excellence
- Deliver online lessons to undergraduate and/or graduate students.
- Initiate, facilitate, interact and moderate online classroom forums.
- Be a faculty leader in your classes embracing fully the Community of Inquiry Framework of Teaching Presence, Cognitive Presence, and Social Presence.
- Comply with APUS guidelines and expectations for quality faculty engagement online.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers within the timeframe set forth by APUS policy providing effective feedback to guide student learning and success.
- Engage in the classroom and reply to emails, etc. at least every other day, including one day during the weekend.
- Remain aware of classroom procedures and use of instructional materials.
- Participate in professional development to enhance teaching skills.
- Annually complete at least two APUS Faculty Development modules for effective online learning and teaching.
- Work with Department Chair and collaborate with faculty to ensure discipline, program and course continuity, currency, and relevance.
- Define course objectives, review regularly, and revise as needed.
- Update course content and materials and/or delivery methods, based on information such as emerging practice changes in the discipline, instructional effectiveness data, current or future performance requirements, feasibility, and costs.
- Analyze courses and prepare analysis for program and course reviews, and course and homework contact hours.
- Remain aware of new classroom procedures, APUS requirements, and instructional materials.
- Attend regular meetings with Director of Programs to stay aware of how their courses fit within the overall program progression and other APUS requirements.
- Ensure APUS instructional standards and policies are reflected in course design.
- Ensures model courses are developed and maintained according to applicable APUS, accreditation, certification, or other requirements.
- Contribute to advancing the discipline as a leader
- Keep abreast of developments in one’s own field by reading current literature, engaging with colleagues, and participating in professional organizations, conferences and discipline-related professional communities.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Administrative responsibilities
- Attend school and discipline meetings (monthly or quarterly) on curriculum, content, development of discipline and practice, and APUS expectations.
- Convene meetings with faculty teaching your courses to ensure they are aware of the curriculum intent.
- Provide guidance to instructors to clarify lessons, assignments, and course design elements.
- Please note: faculty hired for this position could be teaching at Doctoral, Graduate and Undergraduate levels depending on qualifications and program need. If selected to teach at the Doctoral or Graduate level, the faculty member will be subject to additional research requirements.
- Develop new courses and maintain course quality for all courses in the Esports academic degree.
- Participate in future new program development related to esports (new programs, concentrations, nanocerts, etc.)
- Serve as coordinator and sponsor of the Esports Club.
- Establish Esports competitive teams for the institution.
- Create, organize, and manage Esports related co-curricular competitions and events.
- Coaches, develops, and leads Esports competitive teams.
- Recommend new and innovative approaches to collegiate esports leagues, tournaments and governing organizations.
- Assist with the development, supervision, and evaluation of recreational Esports programming including special events, leagues and tournaments as well as streaming platforms and virtual programming.
- Collaborate with other departments and student organizations to increase and diversify participation in the Esports Club.
- Assist with the development, implementation and evaluation of all operating policies and procedures for Esports room and online services.
- Establish and enforce code of conduct for Esports participants.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Sports Psychology, Sports Management, Sports Business Management, Business Administration, Sports Leadership, or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- A doctoral degree is preferred.
- Experience in a leadership role as course coordinator or program director is preferred.
- Experience with program accreditation is preferred.
- Five or more years of college-level teaching experience is required.
- Online teaching experience is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs is required.
Preferred Areas of Expertise and Experience
- Esports and/or Sports Management
- Esports Coaching or Player Development
Compensation and Benefits:
- Full-time faculty are salaried employees. The starting salary for this position is $47,000 annually.
- Information regarding our faculty benefits may be found here: https://www.apus.edu/about/careers/faculty.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Sitting, extensive use of keyboard
*Please note: Full-time faculty members and directors are to consider APUS their primary employer. Full-time salaried faculty and directors may not be full-time employees of any university, school, college, or institution of higher education outside of APUS; this includes administrative, staff, and teaching positions.
*Please note: Applicants selected to proceed in the hiring process with conferred degrees from foreign institution(s) will require a course-by-course evaluation completed by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency. All charges associated with official transcripts and foreign transcript evaluations are the responsibility of the applicant and are not reimbursed by APUS.