Assistant Director - Career Services
The department of Career Services at West Virginia University is seeking applications for an Assistant Director. Under the supervision of the Director, the Assistant Director of Career Development will be an integral member of the Career Servicesleadership team and will contribute in the development of all office policies and procedures. The primary responsibility will be the supervision of the career development specialists and all activities related to student and alumni career-related programming. These activities include but are not limited to oversight of all student-centered programs, events and services; as well as hiring and supervising career professionals, career counseling graduate assistants, and coordinating the development, scheduling and instruction of all careerrelated courses.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Career Counseling
- Hire, train, and supervise (six) career development specialists and other career professionals.
- Oversee the delivery and development of career counseling/advising materials relative to student and alumni resume writing, job search, interviewing, general career counseling, and employment information.
- Responsible for inbounding and assigning all incoming requests for classroom and student group presentations including timely monitoring of the on-line request program, communicating with requester, and organizing/scheduling presentations.
- Work closely with the assistant director of employer relations to request participation of a corporate partner or employer representative when determined beneficial to student-centered programming.
- Work closely with CSC marketing & communications to provide content, review and update all presentations and related documents.
- Serve as the point of contact for internal and external constituents, including but not limited to Enrollment Management, Student Life and New Student Orientation to register for participation in student-centered events such as Explore WVU, New Student Orientation and Mountaineer Visitation Day.
- Responsible for the organization, scheduling and oversight of all student-centered activities and events conducted at CSC, including but not limited to, Information Tables, New Student Orientation activities, One- Stop-Shops, Graduate Symposium, and other similar requests as received.
- Graduate Assistants
- In collaboration with the CSC leadership team, coordinate job postings, applicant reviews, and interviews when career coaching graduate assistant vacancies arise.
- In collaboration with the director, assume or assign the supervision of each career counseling GA, intern or practicum.
- Observe and obtain input from immediate supervisor to assess GA performance relative to counseling, teaching and presentations. Provide feedback to ensure that GAs:
- Are receiving accurate and timely career development advice, and
- Are developing skills and abilities complementary to their career goals.
Courses for Credit, Career and Professional Development
- In collaboration with the director, schedule, assign and/or instruct career development specialists and graduate students to all career-related courses for credit and assure that textbooks are ordered promptly.
- Under the initial supervision of the director, assume the role of the SLI Coordinator for ORIN 151, 152, 251 and 252 for in-class and online sections.
- In collaboration with the director,routinely review the syllabi for all sections of ORIN 151, 152, 251 and 252 for accuracy and consistency.
- Obtain the original syllabus for each course that was approved and on file with the Faculty Senate.
- Request copies of all syllabi currently being used by the primary instructor for each course.
- In collaboration with the director, develop a fair and equitable class assignment rotation that will facilitate subject mastery while also providing cross-training opportunities. Provide opportunities for graduate assistants and interns to participate in course instruction when appropriate.
- Working closely with CSC marketing and communications team, schedule updates of course information, printed material and website content.
Employer Relations and Career Events
- In collaboration with the assistant director of employer relations, schedule and oversee all CDS activities associated with Career Fairs including but not limited to Pre-Career Fair Prep programs and event staffing.
- In collaboration with the CSC leadership team, oversee and approve the schedule of all Career Development Specialists for events and activities.
- Collaborate with the assistant director of employer relations to establish timelines and schedules for event planning and implementation.
Day to Day Operations
- Serve on WVU and external committees as needed.
- In absence of or to assist the director, oversee day-to-day operations, consistent with an understanding of and the commitment to the mission of Career Services and the broader vision of the University as a student centered, learning community.
- Master's degree required in counseling, education or a related field.
- Two (2) years of experience in the following:
- Supervising staff.
- Researching, developing and delivering career related courses as well as conducting seminars or training sessions.
- Interacting with corporate or private sector.
- Four (4) years of experiencein career services, career placement, recruitment, counseling, higher education or related field/industry experience.
- Demonstrated strong skills in program development and management.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to provide counseling and guidance to direct reports as well as students.
- Superior skills in general advising and career counseling.
- Excellent teaching skills.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with other University departments.
- Ability to foster a cooperative working environment.
- Ability to work extended daily hours, including evenings and weekends, as required.
- Ability to coordinate work with others to meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to write clear and concise reports.
- Ability to design and publish promotional material.
- Proficient computer skills to include databases, PowerPoint Presentations, and electronic communications.
- Knowledge of employment trends, hiring patterns, and salary statistics.
- Ability to articulate the importance of major and career choices in respect to individual preferences.
- Ability to assist students with self-evaluation for abilities, skills and interests.
- Counseling or career counseling certification preferred.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Oct 6, 2021
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes